Locations Where Gfci Protection Is Required

My thought was that an Island can also be considered an eating surface , thus making it a fuzzy judgment call.

I do the same with Laundry, if it is a double stack in a tight closet, I leave it be.

If out in the open I suggest GFCI.

**Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units.

**Receptacles cannot be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

Nobody talking face up.

I am (was) talking about this picture! :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=353687&postcount=20

Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units.

Receptacles cannot be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

Sure they can Joe T. :wink:
It’s just wrong and potentially dangerous.:shock:

Is there a mininum distance an outlet has to be from the edge of the sink?

With in 24" edge of sink

Sorry Joe, I did not notice that was a counter top.

What about in a floor? Special rules? Different for wood floor or carpet?

Thanks in advance.

Floor is ok.

Face up is bad on a wet surface and floors have a special protective cover.

Not like this

these or similar protective covers are OK as long as the location is not damp/wet

Those (from the link - not pic) are the ones I see in new construction. They don’t seem “child proof” enough for me.

Most I see around here have the “lock screw” to avoid child tampering

or rugs and furnishings covering them, so the child **hazard **is gone and another is created by ignorant users. It’s a good idea to have a general safety statement about floor receptacle usage.

Thats what I see.

Guess this one is too close!!

IMG.jpg

Too close or behind is not a code issue. Not good practice, but not a code issue.Must be within 24"

[quote=badair]
or removed and properly relocated!
[

Odd you would mount a sink on the wall like that?](“http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20906&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1210006706”)