Look for RHI designation to ensure you're not getting uncertified `cowboy'

I see our $199;00 Inspector is also giving a free wett inspection also .
Most Wood Stove instulation people charge about $145;00 for a wett inspection .
Does that mean his Home Inspection cost is only $54;00
… Cookie… I wonder is he getting desperate for work?
I charge over 7 times $54;00 for an Inspection

Life is rough when you have to drop prices that much…or maybe that’s all he is giving people…$199.00 worth of knowledge, advice and recommendations…in that case, he’s reasonably priced and the customer chose the wrong inspector.

lastly you may want to add Talk to the inspector and hear what they say, does the inspector give you a good feeling.

If the realtor gives you a bad feeling you look for another, same goes for most service professionals. 6th sense still has some relivence.

also could be the tarot card reader down the road.

Brian Jones

To my knowledge the OAHI entry requirements are the only requiremnts to get into CAHPI. There maybe entry exams in other provinces but I doubt it!

With so many erroneous statements from Mullen and clique its hard to tell the truth from the bu ll sh it. Even Claude can’t seem to stand up for correct info. Notice how Bill and Claude remained silent about the erroneous info in the Star by Steve Maxwell?

Thanks Ray…
I didn’t think there ever was an exam, but I wanted to check to see if anything changed in the last 3 years.

In most provinces there are no ‘exams’ to be able to enter as a ‘student’ without the right to perform inspections. In all provinces before you get the association’s blesssings to do inspections you need to take and pass several tests and exams pertaining to the courses you took. You also need to pass the CAHPI exam prior to doing any inspections. No doubt some people violate these rules and go ahead with inspections, but that is not okay with the association and it is difficult to police. (Much the same as there are hundreds of NACHI members claiming to be ‘certified’ when they have not been given that designation by NACHI) .

There are no provincial associations that knowingly allow their student members to inspect houses. They must pass into a higher category first by completing and passing tests.

If you were referring to the National Certifications, there are exams for all courses that you want credit for, and of course there is the big exam, the Test Inspections with Peer Review that everyone must pass. After Dec. 31, 2007, each candidate will need to pass two TIPR’s.

Bill Mullen
Sarnia
Sarnia

Practical Requirement
http://www.oahi.com/default.asp?tier_1=65&tier_2=84&content=23

The Home Inspection ‘Practical’ requirement is as follows:
complete 200 home inspections, OR:

work in the home inspection field for at least one year and completion of at least 150 home inspections, OR:

work in the home inspection field for at least two years and completion of 100 home inspections. All home inspections must be fee paid, include WRITTEN reports and meet OAHI standards of practice. Reports are subject to verification.

Note #1:
Order the Information Package for a complete description of the requirements for each membership category.

Note #2:
THE OAHI DOES NOT ASSESS OR REVIEW THE CREDENTIALS OF NON-MEMBERS.
Those aspiring to become members must first apply as “Student” or “Applicant” member after which, upon request, they will receive a free assessment of their educational and practical experience.

Thats strange because OAHI does not certify inspectors.
The National doesn’t have any authority to certify either because its a voluntary, self regulating association. Its not legislated in any form whatsoever.

So if that is the case Nachi members have as much right to call themselves certified.

And as we have all found out anyone in the Registry regardless of membership level is a Registered Home Inspector and entitled to use RHI. So who is deceiving whom?

Lets see Bill Mullen says ("If you were referring to the National Certifications, there are exams for all courses that you want credit for, and of course there is the big exam, the Test Inspections with Peer Review that everyone must pass. After Dec. 31, 2007, each candidate will need to pass two TIPR’s. ").
I wonder would that make them about 1/2 as good as an RHI.
Still looking for the time some one asks me if I am and RHI or a member of OAHI .
After 15 plus years still they have just over 200+ RHIs.
After two years the NCA has coma about 50% of thet distance.
, Certified Master Inspector sure makes people understand they are getting a great inspection.

… Cookie

Fwiw and a fact.

When I was Chair of the DPPC, I was told by the President and the BOD to tell members who were using “Certified” to cease using it because OAHI is not a certifying body. I remember very distinctly issuing several letters to a few members informing them of that fact.

http://www.nachi.org/documents/ASHI_GORRC_Response_Excerpts_9-07.pdf?PHPSESSID=80a2b389a220bed60a38ed417ec98789

Tried the rest NACHI is by far the best… Cookie

I have sent Mr. Maxwell an email asking him if he intends to update the incorrect information in his article published Sep 15, 2007.

Sadly, you will probably get the same polite kiss off that I got.:roll:

Good Vs Bad inspectors what is the decideing factor? From the post in this thread we are talking about a designation. I will admit, I am a newer inspector less than 300 Inspections. but does that make me one to or not use? Who decides?

Does that make me one of the ones that make all the mistakes?

Have I got my RHI/CMI/NCH? , No because whats next there will be somthing else in the future that I will have to get!

Until the industry comes under 1 set of requirments, 1 law, 1 SOP, there will always be people who think they are better and those that are not the best.

And the people who who think they are better will sit and judge and criticize others…Dont get me going:roll: We can’t even all agree that we are underpaid and should charge more for our services with the amout of liability we take on during a inspection (such a simple and real issue).

RHI/CMI/NCH is just another way of creating a old boys club. Where the few who have the designation try and hold themsleves out from the rest as being better becuase of it. We should be working to harmonize the industry and bring every one togther for the betterment of the industry and the client.

With these designations we are creating a new division in the ranks of the have and have nots which will further confuse the clients and agents as they wont really know the difference between them and give them more pause to have none of it…

RHI/CMI/NCH is just another way of creating a old boys club. Where the few who have the designation try and hold themselves out from the rest as being better because of it. We should be working to harmonize the industry and bring every one together for the betterment of the industry and the client.

Having been an RHI, Looked close at the National Certification and am a CMI.
You are so very correct about the RHI and the NC same game same leaders who do not listen or answer questions .
The CMI is completely different.
It is separate from all association completely.
It is open to all Home inspectors affiliated or not affiliated to any of the associations.
The requirements are a combination total inspections and hours of continuing education total of 1,000 .
It too is going through some improvement but it is completely separate identity and has many positive pluses.
We want to help all inspectors and continue to help our selves,
and to continue to improve the industry.
It is a one time reasonable cost and I can see no clicks demoralizing other inspectors or associations.
To me it is the way of the future.
We regularly have a members chat on methods, information and help.
I am sure others can explain it better then this but stay with your continuing education and Inspections and you too can join if you wish.
Pleasure is in being an CMI pressure is not applied.
You can see peoples eyes light up and they think,
when you say Oh! yes, I am a Certified Master Home Inspector.
Nothing else has shown people you care more then this does,
it just shows we have gone the extra step.

… Cookie

(Added )
as an example CMI just donated 6 cards for Newer HIs to use at Home Depot

Steven,

Good points. I will only add that as long as CAHPI and OAHI continue to release false info the public is being duped into a false sense of security.

I am for fairness and honesty and openess, and inclusion of all inspectors, my record speaks for itself. Unfortunately we have all to often seen to many instances where the likes of Mullen, Lawrenson, and Lloyd do and say as they please without any form of accountability, but they want us all to be responsible and beholden to them while they get to appoint and take opportunities through their favourtism that none of the rest are entitled to under their dictates.

I have just sent this email to Mr. Maxwell. I hope he takes the time to research the real facts.

Next step is the Press Council of Ontario and the Editor of the Toronto Star.

http://www.ontpress.com/complain/index.asp

Thanks for your note, Raymond. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

What’s the best way for consumers to find a reputable home inspector, if the RHI designation can’t be trusted?

Take care,

Steve

On 16-Sep-07, at 8:18 AM, Raymond Wand wrote:

Dear Mr. Maxwell,

Re your article entitled “Home inspectors’ qualifications vary”, in the Saturday Toronto Star.

I am a senior member of OAHI since 1991, and I can tell you that article is in err. I have attached the Private Members Bill (Pr 158) which you can see for yourself gives OAHI its charter.

You should be aware that anyone in the Registry is entitled to use RHI. That is a fact. Therefore anyone who is a member who hasn’t jumped through all the hoops is in fact a RHI! Needless to say OAHI is deceitfully and wantonly misrepresenting and acting contrary to PR 158. Its like many things OAHI does which are contrary to the Act. Mr. Maxwell you may wish to brush up on the Act before accepting as fact what OAHI has provided you. These gives consumers a false sense of security.

Further contrary to your article there are many private inspectors who are qualified to inspect because they are past members of OAHI. There are also two other home inspection associations which you have failed to mention. These are ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) and NACHI (National Association of Home Inspectors) each association has varying degrees of entry requirements. By no means is OAHI RHI the only qualifying credential. Further there are many Professional Engineers and Architects providing inspection services and are not members of any home inspection association.

Also please note that National Certification is another self regulating body made up of voluntary membership which is home inspectors overseeing home inspectors. Licencing is the only alternative to bring all home inspectors in Ontario under the scrutiny and oversight of government appointed governance council to ensure the home buying public is being served fairly.

I hope you take the time to correct the misinformation that you have provided the public in your article.

Thank you.

Raymond Wand RHI, CHI, ASHI, OAHI, CFIHI.
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Thanks for your note, Raymond. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

What’s the best way for consumers to find a reputable home inspector, if the RHI designation can’t be trusted?

Take care,

Steve

On 16-Sep-07, at 8:18 AM, Raymond Wand wrote:

Dear Mr. Maxwell,

Re your article entitled “Home inspectors’ qualifications vary”, in the Saturday Toronto Star.

I am a senior member of OAHI since 1991, and I can tell you that article is in err. I have attached the Private Members Bill (Pr 158) which you can see for yourself gives OAHI its charter.

You should be aware that anyone in the Registry is entitled to use RHI. That is a fact. Therefore anyone who is a member who hasn’t jumped through all the hoops is in fact a RHI! Needless to say OAHI is deceitfully and wantonly misrepresenting and acting contrary to PR 158. Its like many things OAHI does which are contrary to the Act. Mr. Maxwell you may wish to brush up on the Act before accepting as fact what OAHI has provided you. These gives consumers a false sense of security.

Further contrary to your article there are many private inspectors who are qualified to inspect because they are past members of OAHI. There are also two other home inspection associations which you have failed to mention. These are ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) and NACHI (National Association of Home Inspectors) each association has varying degrees of entry requirements. By no means is OAHI RHI the only qualifying credential. Further there are many Professional Engineers and Architects providing inspection services and are not members of any home inspection association.

Also please note that National Certification is another self regulating body made up of voluntary membership which is home inspectors overseeing home inspectors. Licencing is the only alternative to bring all home inspectors in Ontario under the scrutiny and oversight of government appointed governance council to ensure the home buying public is being served fairly.

I hope you take the time to correct the misinformation that you have provided the public in your article.

Thank you.

Raymond Wand RHI, CHI, ASHI, OAHI, CFIHI.
http://www.raymondwand.ca