Looking for better lab service

Originally Posted By: jeubank
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Which laboratory do you use for environmental testing results? I have been using Pro-Lab, mainly because it’s convenient to have a single source for many different types of tests. But Pro-Lab’s service has been too slow for me. Even when I have paid extra for Express service, the results have not been available in a timely manner, and their prices seem high to me when I consider the mediocre service.

So I'm wondering how other inspectors handle this? Use different labs for different tests? Or is there another all-purpose lab available? The specific tests that I have been offering are: bacteria in water, lead paint, lead in water, and radon gas (initial screening only), and a general water quality test that checks for about 10 common pollutants.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. I thought there was a message board thread on this topic a few weeks back, but now I can't seem to find that info.

--
Inspected once, inspected right throughout southern Colorado

www.eubankinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

This is the lab that I have been using for the last 5 years.

http://www.btslabs.com/

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Eubank:

Having spent ten years, as an analyst in commercial and research laboratories, my self, providing analytical services for customers, I?m rather picky about my choice of labs.

Pro-Labs is one of the worst I have seen, and their reports certainly will get folks into trouble and are inconsistent with accepted practice. I have encountered HIs and homeowners alike who have been put into compromised positions and had have increased liability exclusively due to Pro-Labs reports.

For my environmental analysis, I use different labs each based on their best areas of expertise:

Chemical Analysis in air:
Johns Manville Industrial Hygiene Laboratory
10100 West Ute
Littleton, CO 80127

Controlled substances:
Analytical Chemistry Inc.
Mia D. Sazon
Projects Manager
4611 S. 134th Pl, Ste 200
Tukwila WA 98168

Spore Traps and ?normal everyday? viable moulds and Bacteria
Aerotech Laboratories, Inc.
1501 West Knudsen Drive
Phoenix, Arizona 85027

Mycobacteria, MAC and weird bugs
PathCon Laboratories
270 Scientific Drive, Suite 3
Norcross, GA 30092

Particle analyses
Dr. R. Hamilton
10100 West Ute
Littleton, CO 80127

Pesticides and PCBs
Evergreen Analytical
4036 Youngfield Street
Wheat Ridge, CO

Asbestos? (I don?t do asbestos... Yippeeeeee!!)

Lead in bulk and water
10100 West Ute
Littleton, CO 80127

There are, of course, many other very competent labs out there. However, over the past 27 years, these are the labs I have come to know and respect for quality, price and service.

Cheers,
Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Originally Posted By: jnosworthy

they added at least $1.00 or more to every analysis. They are at 8.50 for that standard turn around dust wipe now. BUT, have reduced the next day turn around to adding just a dollar more. That’s very reasonable IMO. Compare that to the $25 for the same thing from Pro-Labs ? On the other hand, Pro-Lab is less expensive price wise for the mold analysis. There are some pretty big differences on price for water analysis depending on where you look also. I say different labs for different things. And, I have to agree with Mr. Connell, I’ve been fairly disappointed at the mold reports from both of these outfits. For every sample you’ll get 3 pages of boiler plate language of general information and disclaimers, of which you and your client will be interested in about three sentences of information. Hummmm that reminds me I have to call Pro-Lab and find out what happened to my refund. He said he would check with his boss and get right back to me … I realize that was two weeks ago. Got to go … bye