Looking for Info on home inspector career

Originally Posted By: Carmine Benedetti
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello,

was hoping to get some insight on the home inspection industry.

My wife has recently started a career in real estate and I have recently ended a brief part time career with UPS, wanted to drive, but do to a childhood injury, went into management(supervision), which after a year plus, found it was not for me.

Currently I am a struggling small retail business owner and have been in this industry for more then 20 years. Family business the first 17, since my own. Time for a change.

I have talked to a local inspector, who has been very helpful, and we are trying to get together for lunch and talk some more.

Questions I have are:

what kind of background should you have to go in this field?

what kind of educational background?

liability after the inspection, who does it fall on?

There is a school down here in FLorida called IFREC, where i got the address for this site, is the class they offer, http://www.ifrec.com/courses/inspection.htm
something I need to take to get started?

All and any other information would be greatly appreciated.
thank you for your time, Carmine Benedetti

Thanks for the reply.

As far as a ‘real school’ do you mean somehwere else accredited for the home inspecton industry or a real school such as college?

I am also in the process of finishing up my Associates degree, with a business emphasis, but I rather not be the corporate, tie wearing type.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hello Carmine,

Welcome to NACHI. This message board has a lot of useful information for anyone looking to get into this profession.

Look at the course outline for the school you are inquiring about. Then look at the outline of a real school.

http://www.home-inspect.com/

http://inspectiondepot.com/

Both of these have classes in Florida. After you have compared the three decide which would work best for you. If you are able to attend the SE Chapter meetings next weekend I would be glad to share information with you there.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information, it was helpful.

Also went over the site here, got a 60% on first ever

HI test, so it’s obvious I need a lot of education still.

Found the test to be actually very helpful, I feel it has given
me alot of insight on what to expect.

Where would the SE meeting be? I just may show up and ask a ton of questions.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Carmine:

The event is this weekend. Friday and Saturday. You can register at www.FLORIDANACHI.org

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: rcooke

There is A huge amount of information in the past many posting I recommend you read and read some more .

My past experience show that less then 10% last past three years .

It is not an instant way to make a living .

It is very time consuming and expensive before most seem to be able to make a living.

I was very lucky in that I had a son who had been doing inspections for 10 years and I went out with him every chance I got .

I also took many courses at the same time as well as having over 40 years as an electrician.

There is no short cut to experience if you can get out with other inspectors up to 50 times .

This could get you a big advantage over most other inspectors, and would defiantly give you a lot of experience in many things .

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: rwashington

If at all possible like some have said before me, get out with other inspectors that have been doing it awhile. I was fortunate to go on about 100 with a 20 year veteran. of inspections before venturing out on my own. It really made all the difference.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

thanks for the response’s gentlemen.

Right now I am on an information mission, to see if it is something I could do, as well as enjoy doing.
If I feel it can be, I would plan on working for someone before I ever attempted my own business.

Luckily, the guy I have been talking to, is also the owner as well as the only employee currently doing inspections.
He may in the future hire someone, and in the mean time, has offered to let me tag along. I just don't want to go with him completely blind to what is involved.

Again, appreciate the information.
thank you, Carmine