low voltage wiring

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What are the guidlines for installed:

a) speaker wire
b) phone wire
c) intercom wire
d) cable TV wire

A contrator told me that, for a 6.1 home theater system with 100 watt amplifier, that 12 guage speaker wire was needed.

I thought, 'Wow, that could carry 1 20 amp, 110 service".

am I missing something. I use, at home, 18 gauge speaker wire for my 200 watt stereo system with no problems.

Any comments.

Any requirements for the laying of this wire (inside the walls).

Thanks;

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

wdecker wrote:
What are the guidlines for installed:

a) speaker wire
b) phone wire
c) intercom wire
d) cable TV wire

A contrator told me that, for a 6.1 home theater system with 100 watt amplifier, that 12 guage speaker wire was needed.

I thought, 'Wow, that could carry 1 20 amp, 110 service".

am I missing something. I use, at home, 18 gauge speaker wire for my 200 watt stereo system with no problems.

Any comments.

Any requirements for the laying of this wire (inside the walls).

Thanks;

There is a difference between what is required and what is 'sold' .

I have wired Real movie theaters that had THX sound systems, obviously the length of the speaker run where much longer than any home theater, and the amplifiers more powerful. 14 AWG was used.

I have also been the 'house' electrician for many concerts, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pantara, Faith No More, White Zombie and many more. As you can imagine these bands use high quality high power equipment and again it was unusual to see larger than 14 AWG for speakers.

All that said in order to be certified '6.1' there may well be a requirement for 12 AWG.

That would be a performance standard not an NEC safety code.

The short code answer to this is home amplifier systems have class 2 or class 3 outputs. They can not put out enough continuous power to overload a 24 AWG never mind an 18 AWG and 12 AWG is a IMO a marketing device.

Bigger is better now grunt like Tim Allen.

The rest of those items phone wire, intercom wire, cable TV wire are also class 2 or class 3 items and as far as the NEC is concerned 24 AWG is enough.

But again manufactures specifications may require more.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Quote:

Sounds to me as though the contractor simply misstated terms or you misunderstood him. I'm sure he meant 12 awg wire.

See

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/speakers_wire.html

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Quote:
ARTICLE 640 Audio Signal Processing, Amplification, and Reproduction Equipment

I. General

640.1 Scope.

This article covers equipment and wiring for audio signal generation, recording, processing, amplification and reproduction; distribution of sound; public address; speech input systems; temporary audio system installations; and electronic organs or other electronic musical instruments.

This also includes audio systems subject to Article 517, Part VI, and Articles 518, 520, 525, and 530.

FPN No. 1: Examples of permanently installed distributed audio system locations include, but are not limited to, restaurant, hotel, business office, commercial and retail sales environments, churches, and schools.

Both portable and permanently installed equipment locations include, but are not limited to, residences, auditoriums, theaters, stadiums, and movie and television studios.

Temporary installations include, but are not limited to, auditoriums, theaters, stadiums (which use both temporary and permanently installed systems), and outdoor events such as fairs, festivals, circuses, public events, and concerts.

FPN No. 2: Fire and burglary alarm signaling devices are specifically not encompassed by this article.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

John a lot of this is marketing hype.

"Monster Cable" will tell you you need 8 AWG for some audio systems.

And they will charge huge money for what is 8 AWG lamp cord. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Audiophiles are a unique bunch, one audio company sells a "Audio Rated" 120 volt 20 amp duplex receptacle for about $150.00 ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) I will try to find a link to it.

--
Bob Badger
Moderator at ECN

$147.00 duplex outlet.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=110-439&DID=7

$74.00 Plug

http://www.partsexpress.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=10330876&St=7912&St2=-59725812&St3=66953865&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15548&DID=7

If you got some time read this thread and have a laugh

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002999.html

--
Bob Badger
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Stereo is sold like golf clubs and marital aids.

There is very little science involved, if you think it works it works. No where is this more evident than in speaker wire.

That is the reason for high priced hype like “Monster Cable ©”.

They sell you performance you can’t see on a spectrum analyser and certainly can’t hear.

If you go into one of those high end store “listening rooms” you will hear subtle differences in all of the combinations of equipment so it is clear NONE of them are “pure” or the best ones would sound the same.

If you perceive the difference and want it, buy it but just remember in a blind test you might end up liking the bell wire better.

In general I would say to run Cat 5e (AKA Cat 6) for data, RG6 quad shield for TV, phone can be Cat 3 but it might be as easy to use the Cat 5 since you already have a spool .
Speakers, intercom etc need #16 stranded ... max, but your customer may want 1/0 1000 strand, braided, oxygen free (or is it oxygen enhanced?) copper with some special sound enhancing insulation and the customer is always right. Just be sure you mark it up accordingly. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: tallen

You gota love a recep. that has a gold plated mounting strap, or is it called a “yoke” icon_rolleyes.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Todd, you have funny yoke’s all the time icon_lol.gif

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Well one thing to consider is voltage drop, though… if its a long distance the bigger wire might be better.

Although 100 watts at, say 12v (arbitrarily selected) is 8.6A
where as 100 watts at 120v is.. 0.86A

Not too sure what the peak voltage would wind up being, but with speakers you get the peak load and the RMS load and what you care about is the RMS load. I don't know enough to know what it would work out to in amps, but I know that people who think low voltage can always mean small wire can be very wrong.

kwilliams wrote:
Todd, you have funny yoke's all the time ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

You can say that again! Todd never sleeps and is the first to reply in the middle of the night!

--

If you have a 2002 NEC you can look at Table 11(A) Class 2 and Class 3 Alternating-Current Power Source Limitations.

If we assume Class 2 output from the amplifier to the speakers we find.

Up to 30 volts 8 amps of current is allowed.

Over 30 and through 150 volts only 0.005 amperes allowed.

Those are maximums very unlikely you are going to find any home system capable of 8 amps @ 30 volts continuous.

--
Bob Badger
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: tallen

jtedesco wrote:
kwilliams wrote:
Todd, you have funny yoke's all the time ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

You can say that again! Todd never sleeps and is the first to reply in the middle of the night!

It was 12:09 when I responded to your post this morning. That's about normal bedtime for me.

What part of the country are you in Joe?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:
jtedesco wrote:
kwilliams wrote:

It was 12:09 when I responded to your post this morning. That's about normal bedtime for me.

What part of the country are you in Joe?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=10016

That's right! I was the one who was up in the middle of the night!

You are in the Central time zone and I am in the Eastern time zone in Boston.

--