Magnetic dryer vent connector

A connection on Linked-In recently posted this product,Magnetic Dryer Connector and while it appears to be a “neat idea” I would be hard pressed to believe this would pass code, and may in fact cause a dangerous situation as there is no form of positive connection, and it looks as though it could potentially trap lint. Has anyone else seen these on an inspection? or know anything about them?

Part of that question is answered by the seller in thee Q&A section:

The magnets create a tight and powerful seal. If your vent path is clear and unobstructed, then no air or lint will be able to escape. Thank you for your interest.
By MagVent, LLC SELLER on June 30, 2016

Never seen one, but it looks like a damn good idea to me. It nearly eliminates the flex transition duct and the kinking that goes with most installations.

I’m curious just what part of the code related to clothes dryer exhaust ducts M1502 you think this device would not be in compliance with?

I agree with Chuck. Great idea! :smile:

The flex duct does not look like flex-metal which is what is recommended today. It looks like the foil/mylar type.

Agreed.
The bottom pic clearly looks like it.

I like it. Doesn’t look any more restrictive than DryerBox. As a plus its easy to put back on, should make people clean their dryer duct more often.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 17,000 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year. These clothes dryer fires cause around 51 deaths, 380 injuries, and $236 million in property loss. Unsurprisingly, the leading cause of these fires , at 34%, is the failure to clean dryer vents .Jan 26, 2017

I have the dryer box and works well with a positive connection, but I think that magnet connection is pretty cool if it don’t let go.

I just cleaned mine for the fall cleaning.

Yes, but if you watch the video, it doesn’t appear to be a problem if it’s installed as seen. The flex duct isn’t extended at all.

That’s what I see, too.

I agree, the idea is certainly interesting. As for the IRC, I would be most concerned about sub section 4.2, and its reference to “mechanical” connection and the subsequent definition of that in 1601.4.1. They are fairly specific in what is approved, and nothing in there would indicate to me that a magnetic coupling would meet their definitions. I am not saying it couldn’t be a positive and solid connection, magnets can be used quite effectively, but it appears more that because it isn’t listed, that means its application has not necessarily been properly vetted.

Further in sub section 4.3 of same, it refers to an overlap of at least 1 inch, this product does not appear to create that, I would be most concerned practically in a gas dryer application where you have more potential for gasses (CO) to enter the living space.

On a more local level, several of our local jurisdictions do not allow ANY type of flex pipe on dryer installations. the flex portion of this is small, but it does exist.
I appreciate your input and would like to hear more of your thoughts.

I’m too new here to have very many thoughts, but you sure have given me some stuff to think about. Thanks!

Not even for the connector? then how do you connect it?

If one aligned everything just right, one could use a rigid pipe, no?

Not very practical, often you will have no space to get to the back of the dryer from the left or the right, only from the top. Then you only have few inches to work with. Of course it’s possible (that’s how pellet stoves with rear bottom exhausts are installed), but it would be a nightmare to hook up without specialized tools and or method, thus my question :slight_smile: If you’re saying just push it into metal vent, yes that would work but that means everything has to align perfectly, how often does that happen. Then what happens if the homeowner pushes the dryer forward and does not realize they have disconnected the vent :expressionless: No positive connection?

I’m not saying it is ideal and, yes, there are a lot of “what ifs” but it could be done.

Not easily and not very likely.

I’ve lined up many 'o dryers similarly.

Good Larry, but the minute they buy a new washer and dryer, it won’t fit anymore, unless it is the same size.