Main panel in locked crawl space

Originally Posted By: jgallant
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A nine year old house I inspected today had the main panel in the crawl space (a tall crawl space, roughly 8 feet high), and the door to the crawl space had a keyed deadbolt that was locked when we arrived for the inspection. It seems to me that this is a safety hazard since the fire and rescue crews often want to turn the power off in the event of a fire, and this would stop them. Any thoughts?

-Jim Gallant

Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com

Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Jim,

I think is not a well advised condition, but having had this discussion with many firemen the general consensus is that they will not even enter a burning or flooded building when there is any potential for the electric supply to be on, and to that extent will normaly pull the meter on the exterior.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: roconnor

gbeaumont wrote:
... with many firemen the general consensus is that they will not even enter a burning or flooded building when there is any potential for the electric supply to be on, and to that extent will normally pull the meter on the exterior.

Friends who are firefighters agree with Gerry that they will just pull the meters to shut down power. But also consider that part of the rules anticipate that a homeowner may need to shut down power to the building in an emergency (e.g. smoking wires that may spark a wall).

I think the key is that panel, and the ability to shut down power, must be readily accessible to a homeowner. If it's in a locked space it's really not "readily accessible". So I would write that up as a concern.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Here again we have regional differences.

Most FDs around here will never touch a meter, they will call the POCO to kill power if they need to.

Having the service disconnect behind a locked door is common place. (At least around here)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

As a fireman…you never touch a meter…you wait for the utility Co. However, with a locked cellar, and knowing location of disconnect, we’d just force entry and shut the main.

Our Safety is #1, so shutting the main would be dependant on how safe it is to get to the main.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dlittlefield

Hi Jim,

Is there a external disconnect by the meter socket? This would solve the safety aspect.

Just a thought.

Dana

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Jim:

Was there any access to the crawl space from the interior of the building?
Such as a hatch or floor opening?

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Folks there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits the service disconnect from being behind a locked door.

Quote:
230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Quote:
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

From the NEC handbook:
Quote:
The definition of readily accessible does not preclude the use of a locked door for service equipment or rooms containing service equipment, provided those for whom ready access is necessary have a key (or lock combination) available.

I am aware HIs are not quoting codes but IMO they should get to see the relevant ones for their own information. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Now if you need a portable ladder to get in here that is a problem.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Jim:

There is another potential problem evident in the picture. Unless that paper facing on the insulation installed between the joists has a flamespread rating of 25 or less and a smoke developed rating of 450 or less when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84 it cannot be left exposed in the crawl space.

Most paper faced insulations have a warning printed right on the facing that warns you not to leave the facing exposed to the interior of the structure ( as it will burn rapidly).

If the insulation had been installed with the paper facing against the floor
deck or covered with a thermal barrier it would be ok.

regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Bob Badger wrote:
Folks there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits the service disconnect from being behind a locked door.

Very true ... still rubs me the wrong way for that home, where the odds of that crawl space key not being found easily may be pretty good ... ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Quote:
240.24(b) Each occupant shall have ready access to all overcurrent protection devices protecting devices supplying that occupancy.

If the house was a rental, the tenant should have keys, unless the manager is onsite 24/7 (not saying it is a rental, just giving a for-instance

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Robert where are the disconnects located generally in your area?

Here the basement is the most common spot for dwelling units.

For commercial many times well inside so we do not burn up "window walls" with electric rooms.

I recently did a Seven Eleven Store with an outdoor service disconnect and we had to put a padlock of the service disconnect to keep crack heads from shutting off the store at night. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

The FD has no problem cutting padlocks.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

Just curious… were you required to drag a ladder out to access the crawlspace? If so, regardless of the lock, it’s not readily accessible! eusa_snooty.gif why anyone would allow overcurrent protection for general wiring to be in a crawl space is beyond me, coming from an electrician… what if a disabled person was there alone & needed to kill power in an emergency? Or just simply tripped a circuit & needs to reset it?

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Bob Badger wrote:
Here the basement is the most common spot for dwelling units.

Same thing here ... usually not locked (maybe thats whats rubbing me the wrong way).

I'm not really concerned about commercial buildings or FD access, as they have all the gear needed to get to the disconnects ... but around my neck of the woods they will usually pull the meters (they are really suppose to wait for the POCO, but sometimes there is a long response time). I'm really thinking about homeowner access to shut power down in the event of a problem, and a crawl space key may be buried ... ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Russel Lloyd, no access existed except through exterior hatch shown. Insulation above installed with vapor barrier towards floor (up not down).

Dana, no disconnect at meter exists.

Randy, no ladder was necessary to get in the crawl space.

I recommended that they replace the keyed deadbolt with a latch or lock that doesn't require a key, such as a screen door hook and eyelet.

--
-Jim Gallant

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

This IS NOT the main (panel) disconnect. And if it is, it was installed without a disconnect.

Look at the picture. This panel is not at the first point of entry.???

Mike P.

Mike. It’s possible that the point of entry is right behind the panel, but I can’t tell. Also, it’s hard to tell from the small pic, but it doesnt look like an MLO panel without a disconnect. I seem to see a main disconnect (MD) here:

![](upload://goFthVuTW8gmHWSffXhpmWHllP7.jpeg)

Jim ... using "main panel" doesn't really describe the installation. Is that a "service panel" with the MD, or is it a "distribution panel" with the MD somewhere else? It's important because that also indicates where the service neutral-ground connection/bond goes ...

(P.S. Jerry P. didn't didn't jump on that "main panel" reference ... he must have missed that or he is getting mellow ... )

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess my eyes are failing me. To me the picture looks like a Cutler Hammer service panel with the MD at the top, right where Bob put the red arrow.

Maybe I just need glasses or a larger pic … icon_lol.gif

What do ya think Mike?

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Yes, it is a Cutler Hammer service panel with the main disconnect at the top.

-Jim Gallant