Making a Difference

Read this tragic story and ask yourself:

Can what I do really save someone’s life?

This family recently move into my area. It’s an apartment and I wonder when the last time it was inspected.

**Girl, 6, Likely Died From Electrocution

** HUDSON, Wis. (AP) ― The death of a 6-year-old girl in a bathtub offers a sad lesson about the dangers of using electrical appliances near water, officials say.

Chelsea Joe “Princess” Helland was found with a hair dryer in the water-filled tub, and a medical examiner’s report shows a high probability she died from electrocution, said interim Police Chief Eric Atkinson.

Emergency personnel responded to the apartment complex around 7 p.m. Sunday.

According to police, the mother told officers the girl and her 2-year-old sister were in the tub when the mother left the room briefly. When she saw the toddler was out, she went to check on the other girl and found her unresponsive in the bathtub with the hair dryer.

The mother, her boyfriend, paramedics and police officers tried to revive the girl, but she was pronounced dead at Hudson Hospital.

Atkinson said he thinks a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) installed in the outlet or contained in the dryer would have prevented the tragedy.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a GFCI in a home wiring system constantly monitors the flow of electricity and instantly switches off power if there is any loss of current. That way, it can prevent a person from getting a lethal dose of electricity.

“I believe that if there would have been a GFCI outlet or mini-GFCI in the hair dryer, we wouldn’t be where we are today,” Atkinson said.

The girl’s funeral was scheduled Friday in White Bear Lake, Minn.

Very sad! My little girl is the same age.

I inspected a home last week where two overhead light switches in the toddler’s room were missing covers with electrically hot connections clearly visible and easily touched. I impressed upon the young mom (Seller) just how severe and deadly this could be to her inquisitive young man. She just shrugged and said Yeah she would tell her husband to fix that. In retrospect, I think I screwed up…I should have gone to HD, bought two covers and went back and installed them.

I run into the same scenario quite a bit. I now carry a few cheap covers (switch and outlet) with me. I sleep much better knowing that a child won’t be hurt due to a parent thinking beer money is higher on their priority list. Geez…they cost next to nothing! What are these people thinking? They’re not…that’s the problem.

Excellent idea Jeffrey…I will buy a few covers today and stick them in the toolbox for just such repeat occasions. Thanks!

Sad to say it is all too common and way more common than it should be. This is a prime example of why HI’s are critical to saving lives…find that article, print it out and make your clients aware of it…Yes America…$ 9.00 items can save lives.

Sad…very sad event.

You’re welcome. Anything to keep a child safe.

Not just kids my brother…Everyone in the family.

Yes, I agree, but a child is not the responsible one for home safety. If a parent chooses to not install a cover to protect a child, is that the childs fault? I will provide a cover (if the parent appears to not give a damn, or in some cases honestly can’t afford) in the areas that the child may come in contact with. If a child doesn’t have access, then the adult is on their own. They have been advised. I can only do so much. I do what I can.

And the realtor’s whine all the time about HI’s recommending GFCI upgrades to older properties.

They need to see this.

It’s an AP story.

Here are two links,

Link 1

Link 2

No good deed goes unpunished, think about it Michael.:frowning: