Malfuntioning garage door opener

Originally Posted By: aslimack
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Looking for help with a garage door opener. A girlfriend of mine has a Genie garage door opener that stopped working. It wouldn’t respond to the switch. I took a look at it and tried resetting it. Thought it was fixed. Worked up and down twice, and once more with her present as witness to my cleverness. Walked away from it. Her son came home some time later and it had stopped working. This time, it would start and move at an accelerated pace and then stop abruptly. Moved probably 1-2ft. at a time and stop. That was it. It was late and i didn’t want to get involved with it, so i left it disengaged for temporary manual use. That was the way it had been for some time prior to my “repair.” I promised to get back to it as soon as i had a chance. Trying to get back today or tomorrow to fix it and would like opinions/suggestions. The accelerated movement after my initial “repair” is what throws me a bit. Thank in advance for any help.

Adam

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

sounds like a loose wire somewhere

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: psisler

Adam,

Go to www.geniegarageopener.com. They have free technical assistance for your opener at 818-725-7125. Check the site out. It helped me to repair a customers opener.

Patrick M. Sisler
Alta Sierra Home Inspections
altasierrahi@lycos.com

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Thanks for the help guys. The tech. seemed to think it is the main circuit board at any where from $45-$75. I think i’ll first rule out any loose wires to be sure.

Adam