Mandatory home inspections by the City of Palmdale?

Over the last 10 years I have had to deal with city inspectors and now they want them to inspect homes…lol…good luck on this deal! Sounds like the city is just trying to find another way to gain $$$$$… but this is CA!

Bad news for Antelope Valley home inspectors.

Don’t look good we should post this on the CalNachi board…

This may be similar to what Santa Barbara has had for years. If it is the same thing, it would not affect our home inspection business.

Santa Barbara requires a city inspection prior to close of any escrow. The sole purpose of that inspection is to compare the current floorplan of the home versus the last home plan on record in the building department. They found that a high percentage of homes had been remodeled or modified without permits. In some instances, large additions were done without permit. Garages especially were converted to living space, all without permit. Thus the “safety concerns”. When we sold a rental a couple years back, the “inspection” lasted less than 5 minutes. Enough time to walk through the home comparing the floorplan to the plans on record. Nothing more.

They have also gone after back taxes for the increased value of the property that was not reported or permitted and they were required to get permits. The permit fees and any penalties would also have to be paid prior to any change in ownership.

Interesting… would hope the motivation is safety for residents… but from what I’ve seen in the handling of things such as large fines for dead grass, likely motivated by $.

How’s everyone doing?

Tim

Regarding article on mandatory home inspections done by city inspectors in Palmdale. The mayor states that a home in is neighborhood, with code violation such as bedrooms in garage, an illegal porch and a hole left in the wall where a swamp cooler was removed, was being sold. Did the mayor just notice this or just not care when these unpermitted projects were being completed. He goes on to state that he feels like he is living in a third world country. I say to him, this is the community that you have created now sleep in it. Taking away jobs from this community is not the way to help its people. And by the way, good luck on getting your city done home inspection … have you ever tried to get a hold of them?

Bob Rothman
Certified Home Inspections Palmdale

Bob, I’m fairly sure that their thought is to benefit financially from their decision while also providing a safer purchase for a buyer.

Problem is the time frames that as we all know are being provided are relatively short. I’m not sure that the City will want and/or be available on short notices… that would remain to be seen.

Also, the level of service provided by most of us (I hope) is considerably more in depth and in detail than that of what their focus would likely be.

My concern with that is simple, the false perception from a buyer’s or any other person connected to the sale or purchase of the home, that the home has been inspected by a qualified home inspector. No disrespect to my associates at the city, it’s just that I provide a different evaluation of the property than that of the city. Does this mean that if they are to “skew” one’s perception that a Home has been inspected,** are they to mandate or require that the Home does receive an inspection by a private third party? If they are to require a code inspection, should they require a Home Inspection by a third party? **

For example, if no “Code or Safety” defect or violation is found… is/does this mean that the home is a “good” purchase for the buyer? Would my outlook provide a different evaluation of the home? Does the lack of un-permitted additions or alterations to the structure ultimately mean that it is viable? I think not.

I do see the city’s point on this, it would be ignorant not to. But mandating that every home sold be brought up to a City’s point of view/standards at every sale is a poor mix of bureaucracy and economics, this would be of detriment to our local economy (would be a huge burden on a seller) and other aspects of our community.

I firmly believe that the lack of required disclosure on the part of the seller in a bank owned home type of transaction has contributed to a City such as Palmdale wanting and/or being able to step in for the financial benefit of the City and the detriment of the local economy.

If someone is buying a home and there is a garage conversion or unsafe/obvious unpermitted alteration to the structure, I know I inform my client, I’m sure most others do as well.

Tim

If it ends up being like the law Toledo, Ohio passed, it will not be good for anyone. Home inspectors don’t like the Toledo law, the city inspectors don’t like it, real estate agents don’t like it and most important of all - home buyers don’t like it. It requires separate certification and a separate license and, of course, all the associated fees.

The City of Inglewood has adopted a regulation that seems to work. If Palmdale were to model their ordinance after one like this, it could certainly be beneficial to the residents of the city.