Mapping Job Sites

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When scheduling an inspection, go to one of the mapping web sites on the internet and print out a detailed map to locate the job address. Saves embarrassment of getting lost and showing up late when you think you know where an address is located. Helps eliminate confusion over N & S -E & W, Courts, Streets, Avenues, Drives, similar sounding names, etc.

Most sites also give the full nine digit zip code for the property address which can be used to impress your client with your attention to detail.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Russ has good advice.

We print out the maps from Yahoo maps for every job. I also use it to estimate travel time and routes between jobs.

Be aware that the internet map can be a liar - especially in new subdivisions. Have a back-up system. We have a bunch of paper maps in the InspectorMobile. We dig into them once in a while.

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Delorme Street Atlas USA 2004. about $49.00 at most software & discount stores.

CD stays in your laptop, no internet connection needed. Prints nice color maps to include in the report (scalable to your desired level). Clients love them, especially in some of the rural areas.

Saves tons of time in finding addresses and routing complete with mileage and time.

MUCH better than mapquest or Yahoo maps.

Even better, an aerial image of the property available free, from http://terraserver.microsoft.com/address.aspx

Just enter the address, click and zoom to your hearts content.

I only go this far on a premium inspection at a premium price. Not a cost effective thing to do on most inspections at a regular price.

Here's a recent one.

![](upload://sSCG8qXL9LWMV6ybB3A58gZMbH5.jpeg)

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

I take it one steps further. I hook up a GPS to my laptop running MS Trip Planner. I type in the address of my next job and follow the route.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I use MS streets amd trips…came with the computer…very nice and detailed…also get updates and construction updates on roads.

Haven’t gotten lost yet! icon_cool.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector