Marine Clay Problems in VA & MD

Originally Posted By: roconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

soils in the Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland areas that was forwarded to me.

A little to locality specific to be added to the Structure Technical Links, but still good info, so I figured I would share it with everyone here.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/marineclay.htm

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

P.S. Maryland is MD Massachusetts is MA. but good info none the less. icon_cool.gif

My bad/typo … Fixed … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Robert;

Educated me as to why people would actually build a structure on Marine Clay and not have it structurally designed for that type of soil.
I understand that their are problems with existing dwellings already built and need to be identified.

Who out there is building these structures with complete disregard to geotechnical designs and structural design for these circumstances?

Isn't there any control anymore on this situation?

Does not anyone know of spread footings and additional reinforcement for these situations?

Marcel

Building typical spread footing foundations (even ones that are heavily reinforced) on shallow layers of expansive soils is just asking for trouble due to the high moisture content changes is the soils closer to the surface.

See this link for more info ... http://www.houston-slab-foundations.info./

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?