Masonry veneer costr., "Solin rigid"

I recently inspected a home (western Quebec) that had brick veneer exterior wall finishing, but there were no weep holes.
I made the home buyer and RA (Real Estate Agent) aware of this condition and the potential problems this could mean for the maintenance and the future value of the building.
Of course I recommended further evaluation by a qualified mason or masonry contractor.

I heard from the RA today that it was looked at by a mason, but without getting any real determination of the status.
The vendor has reported that the contractor who did the masonry says that he used ‘solin rigid’ and therefor no weep holes were needed.
‘Solin rigid’ may be a trade name or a product name, but it translates as ‘rigid flashing’.
Is there anyone who knows of this product or practice, and if they do what are the correct installation standards, specifically how is water drained or evacuated from behind the veneer at the wall base and window/door headers?


Robert Butler
Aspect Inspection
Pointe-Claire, Quebec

Could he be referring to “Solid Rigid Polyurethane Foam”?

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it’s a perforated rail that runs horizontally every 2-4 feet that attaches it to the studs. This allows air flow underneath.

I did a google search and got a lot of replies with Solin ridgid brick weep holes .
I think you made a good call . I was called in on a friend who had serious water in the basement of a new Home .
The builder had tried a lot of things and finally Carion is involved and they are doing some serious changes in this home.

What is wrong with responding to the RA with… “I’m sorry I’m not familiar with that product. Could you get some additional information from the contractor that did the work? As far as I know, the only two ways to remove moisture from behind a brick veneer is the use of either weep holes, or weep wicks. I don’t presume to know everything, so I’m happy to learn, but my suspicion (and the info I have read about this product) is that the mason is doing a little CYA.”

Good link , and weeps are still needed.

not Canadian nor do i speak French…but

Solin is French for flashing and weeps would still be required in a veneer or throughwall masonry system

Bande de métal servant à former un joint étanche à l’eau entre les objets butant contre les bardeaux. Les solins servent le long des murs, des cheminées et des lucarnes. Le métal est en général de la tôle galvanisée épaisseur 28, mais on peut prendre du plomb, du cuivre, de l’étain ou de l’aluminium. (anglais Flashing)

Solin d’avant-toit

Traitement du bord d’un toit avec du feutre ou du métal. (anglais Flashing, eaves)

Solin de base

  1. Partie du solin fixée au support de couverture, ou posée sur lui, pour dévier l’eau sur le toit, ou pour assurer l’étanchéité du toit.
  2. Matériau posé à la base d’un mur faisant saillie hors d’un toit, en guise de protection. Le principe simple consiste à faire remonter la membrane le long du relevé, de façon que la couverture forme un grand plateau étanche, avec pour seuls orifices les drains évacuateurs de l’eau. Des feutres bitumineux sont généralement employés. (anglais Base flashing)

google Translation…

Metal strip for forming a watertight seal between objects bumping against shingles. Flashings are used along walls, chimneys and skylights. The metal is usually galvanized sheet metal thickness 28, but you can take the lead, copper, tin or aluminum. (English Flashing)

Eave flashing

Treatment of the edge of a roof with felt or metal. (English Flashing, eaves)

Base flashing

  1. Part of the flashing attached to the roof deck, or placed on him, to divert water on the roof, or to seal the roof.
  2. Material placed at the base of a wall projecting from a roof as protection. The simple principle is to be traced along the membrane of the statement so that the cover forms a large watertight tray, with holes only drains water spillways. Bituminous felts are usually used. (English base flashing)

Thanks for your responses guys.

The google links are good, thanks Roy Cook.
I had already done that type of search myself.
The technical data and specs are standard masonry technology that I already knew.
But you never know when a ‘new’ technology will appear.

Nothing came up that addresses ‘Solin rigid’ directly.
I was thinking there could be a product name or brand that would show up.

I knew that ‘solin’ is the French word for flashing, but thats very resourceful research for a non-Canadian, non-frankophone Texan.
Thanks to Barry Adair.

‘Solin rigid’ is not referring to a rigid foam, but thanks (Jeffery Jonas) for that link. I’ll be adding that one (bookmarking it) to my resource list.

I think Mark Nahrgang is probably right about the mason “doing a little CYA”.

And Bil Elliot’s’ phrase “weeps are still needed” about sums it up.

Robert Butler
Aspect Inspection
Pointe-Claire, Quebec

I just mark up no weep holes, with a a note about 60% of the homes new and old down here do not have them . others are filled with mortar. ( sign not done right) Anyway the beat goes on.