Master Inspector Certification Board files Petition to Cancel GAHI's deceptively-similar mark

Spend our money on a losing cause. Court ruling or not…!!

That is the truth. I said it “has been in continuous use since 1998”. It has. That’s the factual truth, not hyperbole. And we filed for registration in 2003. This is 2021. That’s 23 years in use and 18 years since filing for registration. What part is hyperbole?

1 Like

Fighting a Trademark???

Easy to keep spending someone else’s money on nonsense.

I’m lost. You said:

You keep saying that, but it wasn’t “registered” until much later. Try the actual “factual” truth once in awhile, not hyberole.

That is the truth. I said it “has been in continuous use since 1998”. It has. That’s the factual truth, not hyperbole. And we filed for registration in 2003. That’s 23 years in use and 18 years since filing for registration. What part is hyperbole? What part isn’t the “actual factual truth?”

They trademarked the name in 2017/2018. Personally I think it is too close to the CMI designation and should be challenged. However, I am curious Nick, what brought this to your attention recently and not when it was published for opposition in April of 2018?

1 Like

Maybe the fact it’s two different things? Really?

I only noticed it on a home inspector’s website recently. I called him and he said GAHI issued it to him.

Fighting to defend a trademark is a large part of the cost of having one. You snooze … you lose. Nick is right.

2 Likes

Ryan, are CMI’s certified code inspectors under the CMI designation?

Are there any repercussions to not responding during the opposition period?

No, of course not. But they could go with Code Certified Inspectors (CCI) and all is well. Throwing the Master in just confuses it with CMI in my opinion.

Not when it gets as petty as this…

Even if they earn it through a recognized organization, what ever it may be?

I’m still lost. I stated them as different things done on different dates, accurately. Let me find the posts just to make sure. What I’ll do is start at the top of this thread and copy every reference I made to either date in use or date filed. Luckily, our forum numbers each post for easy reference. Perhaps I misspoke, let me check:

My post #3:

that has been in use since 1998

Nope, that is accurate.

My post #10:

Ours is a certification mark that has been in continuous use since 1998.

Nope, that is accurate as well.

My post #20:

They took our mark which has been in continuous use since 1998 and recently filed a deceptively similar mark (our exact mark with the word “code” in front of it).

My post #25:

And we filed for registration in 2003. This is 2021. That’s 23 years in use and 18 years since filing for registration.

I can’t find the inaccurate post you speak of. What number is it?

Correct. I have no choice.

Yes. Instead of filing an objection, we have to file a Petition to Cancel.

Nick, when your legal team wins a $1.5 m award for this case, post it. I’ll be the first to bow down to and applaud.

Tom, if you look to the right on this thread, you should see the post number that the system generates when you hover over each post with your cursor. Can you hover over the post that you think I made that included “hyperbole” and which “isn’t actual factual truth” ? Get me the exact post number please.

I’m curious. Why would you think we’d “win a $1.5 m for this case?” I don’t think we have any shot of collecting a judgement. Where did you come up with the $1.5 m number?