meaningless “Designations” awarded by the various associations

Consider licencing the enema that is need to clean out the colon of OAHI! :shock:

Raymond!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately, in almost every State that has licensing, the requirements have been reduced to the ‘lowest common denominator’.

The numbers of inspectors in those states have doubled in some cases because it’s so easy to become ‘licensed.’

At that point Home Inspection no longer is a profession, it is a commodity, and this is where I agree with Nick. Licensing will help associations that do good marketing flourish.

Unfortunately the people who decide on licensing requiremembst are politicians. The number one priority for politicians is to get re-elected. To do this they have to appeal to the largest number of voters possible. Therefore, it’s politically unwise to make it too hard to get into any occupation. One they get involved, everything gets watered down.

Bill Mullen

Thanks Raymond many a true word said in Jest and this is exactly what is needed .
…Cookie

Its not anymore a commodity than inspectors entering the field without licencing because you have inspector schools, colleges turning them out enmass.

The only way to make it less of a commodity and more of a profession is to have realistic but high levels of proven competence. Now if a licensing body adopted verifiable and documented high educational, training and experience standards, a strong Code of Ethics, and continuing education requirements we could have the best of both worlds.

Along with that goes a system to assess course curriculi from institutions that want to teach courses and and strong, verifiable and credible accreditation system to ensure they actually teach the right things.

Bill Mullen

Mr. Mullen,

The purpose of licensing any profession is to establish MINIMUM standards and qualifications for entry into said profession. That being said, it is ILLEGAL to set the bar so high as to arbitrarily BAN entry into said profession.

Data collected long ago established a direct link between, say, faulty workmanship on the part of an electrician or plumber and the public safety. Doctors and nurses, professional engineers, architects, etc… the list continues.

But for the home inspector, there has NEVER been a credible link between a bad home inspection and anything more than civil penalties. Even the bad municipal building inspector is exempt from prosecution and financial liability, providing there is no corruption taking place.

So here we have licensing… and “national certification”. Its all a load of crap. You know it. I know it. We all know it.

Absent of a real need, with data justifying it, one would be hard-pressed to argue the merits of licensing our industry. We will always have the incompetents. Every profession does.

But back to the minimum standards… that is all that licensing ever guarantees; a MINIMUM level of competency. Associations, such as InterNACHI can raise the bar, but a governmental body is subject to challenge. They know this, which is why they are wary of following the advice of those with a certain bent toward the industry. They are also accutely aware of the possibility of virtual influence peddling from HI members sitting, or in control of, governmantal programs or boards.

Mr. Farsetta: (my, we are formal today !)

Even MINIMUM standards have to be realistic. Nobody said they had to be so high that they were too difficult. If the MINIMUM standard to be a licensed Home Inspector is that you have two eyes and a pulse, that certainly would make access easy for all. But that is not realistic.

National Certification is not crap…on the contrary, it is what will give the Canadian industry credibility. You are welcome to your uninformed opinion but in reality, the NCP is now the strongest credible inspection group in the country and it is growing quickly. More importantly, its acceptance and recognition is spreading like wildfire.

Bill Mullen

"More importantly, its acceptance and recognition is spreading like wildfire."

Hmmmm, reruns on the Sci-Fi channel again? :mrgreen:

</IMG>

Bill,

Remember that minimum standards are just that. Some education and experience, and perhaps a test or some type. Licensing guarantees MORE inspectors, never less. So, be careful what you wish for. When you unwrap that package, you may find a pile of crap instead of a diamond necklace.

I hear that the National Certification is pretty much dead, except in the eyes of those pushing for it. The majority of posts you make on this message board mention the credibility, effectiveness, reality, validity, and necessity of this so-called National Certification program.

Who cooked it up, originally?
What association affilliations did they or do they have?
Who controls it?
Which provences embrace it?
What will it do for an inspector who chooses to go that route, as opposed to simply belonging to iNACHI, OAHI, or any other org?.

And please DONT tell me that it over-arches all associations because of it’s neutrality, and please DONT tell me that it’s mere existence does not afford opportunity for influence peddling and corruptions, and ultimately… association BIAS.

We, here in the states, know all too well where some of this stuff winds up. Wolves in sheeps clothing.

And Bill… I challenge you to refrain from mentioning any associations or national initiatives or certifications in your next 250 posts on this message board… if you can :wink:

I accept the challenge as long as others do the same. If someone else brings up the topic and I have an answer, I will respond.

I give Roy about fifteen minutes before he mentions one of the above.

BTW: Maybe bring BIG bandages.

Bill Mullen

This will be one hell of a training session in Ontario!

I hope we can stay on track these two days. We have one hell of a lot of material to cover.

I look forward to meeting you and all the uber-passionate players in the HI debates of the Great White North:cool:

Joe:

When you get us all together we’re all buddies and *****cats. I look forward to the education and the comraderie.

Bill Mullen