Measuring roof perimeters

Sorry,

I would like an Audi R8 – but they just refuse to make one in my price range.

Best I can tell you – Buy yourself a Fat Max

Time to bring this back for the new Florida Wind mit form.

Anyone know of anything that will work yet. Anything new been invented.

A fellow inspector told me that google earth has a measure tool on the paid version but I do not think it would work for side and rear elevations. If the google cam has never been on the side or behind the house how could you see what was there to measure.

Simple roofs are simple but the problem is going to be with complex multi level roofing systems. The form calls for the perimeter of the roof. How the hell are we supposed to do that safely?

Perimeter is the distance around. The old termite measuring wheel is about to make a comeback!:mrgreen:

I have a small wheel for measuring from the roof top and a larger one for measuring from the yard

I have the laser pointer, it does not work outside nearly as well as inside and it hardly works at all over 75’ it is extremely accurrate at under 20’ inside. The bosch I have has settting for back of unit against surface computations for sq ftage and linear addittion. I used it a lot and it works great but not a good tool for wind mits.

Use a wheel. If you can reach it all the way around measure the soffit. If not do the drip line. I doubt anyone will respect google earth calculations. It’s impressive but not exactly verification on the date of inspection.

The wheel is good, except where there is going to be a close measurement. I am willing to bet that five different inspectors will get five different measurements with the placement of a wheel. Everyone will be close, but which one will be right.

The only way to get an accurate measurement is with the old 100 foot tape measure and two people, which, of course, will never happen. On some homes with close measurements, that could mean the difference between a hip roof and other.

Couldn’t you use the appraiser web-site diagram to start and add the extra length by measuring the size of the soffitt - seems like it would be an easy calculation.

Those measurement are not accurate. You need to measure. It not the big of a deal on most houses.

Only where it is a hip roof or the measurement is close though, right? You don’t need to show the measurements where it is not a hip roof, correct?

Most is the key.

On some it will be a huge deal that no one will have accurate.

Measuring the roof perimeter rather than the building perimeter is going to help many clients who were just over the 10%. All in all I think this was a good thing.

How do you plan on doing it on complex multi level roof systems?

Easy. (Dad was a roofing contractor, after Andrew I was put work doing estimates).

Depends on how complicated the roof. Use an indext card and make a sketch.

1. You can measure length from the ground with your measuring wheel, or measure the length at the peak.

2. Standing at the peak, run your tape out to the edge and record the measurement. Repeat as needed.

A 100’ tape is nice. The weighted end will do all the leg work.

Zircon makes a laser tape measure that works up to 100 feet. You could build a stake with a metal sign on it, say with the name of your company on it, place that at the corner and try and hit it with the laser.

Carefully.

I lay out the roof on graph paper, very easy from the ground. I been doing it for years.

I think everyone is over thinking it. I have been doing roof sketches for awhile now. It doesnt take long and you will know when you are onsite if it is close to 10percent so just double check you measurements

Could not agree with you anymore sir, Over thinking it is an understatement…

This graph is from some time ago maybe it will help some. If you know the formulas you can lay out any roof. Very easy to make and the graph boxes are per foot. Only takes 10 minutes the most. I hope you can use it and save time.

Used to do that for roof estimates and reports. Also, when measuring for termite treatments.