Meeting

Sorry I’m late getting to you for your consideration, but been busy and just read your post for suggestions.

Probably the number one thing that comes to my mind that needs some sort of attention is in the area of wind mitigation re-inspections. Right now it seems whoever had the last inspection rules until the next inspection. Okay, lets say a homeowner (the insured) commissions a wind/mit inspection and they qualify for roof to wall connection related wind/mit discounts and they get them until the insurer has a win/mit inspection performed and that inspector says they don’t qualify for the R/W connection discount and the insurer immediately terminates the R/W connection discount. However, what you actually have is two wind mitigation reports that have differing opinions as to if the R/W connections meet the requirements as one of the qualifying R/W options or not. Since both reports were accepted by the insurer, I assume both reports were completed by qualified inspectors. In other words we have reports with differing opinions but in reality we have no idea which is correct.

In auto insurance when and a car is a total loss there is a procedure to follow when there is a different of opinion as to the value of that car. I suggest that something similar could be used in wind mitigation. FOR EXAMPLE:

When an insurer chooses to perform and pay for a wind mitigation re-inspection and that re-inspection shows differences from the original inspection that was commissioned by the insured and those differences would cause the loss of discounts it should trigger a process such as:

The insurer should notify the insured of the re-inspection results and their right to request a reconciling process within 30-60 days of notification.

Reconciling Process:

• The two wind mitigation inspectors whom performed the inspections get together either by telephone or at the home or possibly both to determine why there are differences between the reports and determine the correct answer. The insurer pays the cost of its inspector and the insured pays the cost of their inspector.
  • Should the two inspectors not be able to come to an agreement as to the correct answer, then together they should agree on and select a third inspector to re-inspect the property. The inspection results should be binding. The insurer and insured share the cost of the thind inspection equally. The third inspector should be one of the licensed professionals listed in the current statutes.

While the above is not perfect it’s a start and better than what’s in place now.

The second suggestion also has to do with re-inspections:

The statue says re-inspection should be conducted by independent inspectors when the insurer delays processing discounts to confirm the inspection results, I believe that should hold true for all re-inspections conducted or commissioned by an insurer. The insurer should not interpret, dictate or have influence on the procedures, specifications used by the inspectors performing the inspection. Re-inspections should only be performed by one of the current licensed professionals listed in the current statute.
Just a couple of suggestions

In the spirit of “asking for more than you want”

1. State approved trainers/classes

2. ALL “qualified inspectors” must take the training to do ANY wind mits

3. Require that insurors & RE-INSPECTORS post their “we do it this way” rules

4. Since this was a neverendong unresolved thread not too long ago:

Remove the ambiguity in Sec 4. C. by adding a qualifier about unblocked spaces in straps

The meeting went well!!!

We talked for about an hour and a half. He is going to set-up a meeting with Liem and DBPR to express our concerns and work on solutions. He is willing to sponsor a bill if needed, with help. He is also working on an energy audit bill and asked for our input. :cool::smiley:

Steps in the right direction!!!

FYI, I have seen a draft version of the SOP and it looks straight forward and easily workable.

The meeting went well!!!

We talked for about an hour and a half. He is going to set-up a meeting with Liem and DBPR to express our concerns and work on solutions. He is willing to sponsor a bill if needed, with help. He is also working on an energy audit bill and asked for our input. :cool::grin:

Steps in the right direction!!!

FYI, I have a draft version of the SOP and it looks straight forward and easily workable without limiting what we can do. :mrgreen:

Well, what happened. What did you tell him and what were his reponses? I wouldn’t think that anything he said would matter much because it ain’t as though he individually can accomplish much. Good if he had come away with a positive impression of inspectors as individuals after your meeting though. I trust you represented yourself well and as well our industry. My burning question would have been how does the legislature and OIR allow insurance companies to descriminate(not provide coverage) based on conditions not required to be corrected by the existing building code? Wow, you and I were typing at the same time!

Huh? What?
I can’t think of a better place to start. Last I heard Senators had a little pull. Where do you come off with that statement?

Thanks John — For taking the initiative to have Inspectors be heard.

HAPPY THANKGIVING TO ALL !!

He is ONE senator. The battle is with the lobbyists who have the ears of all the others. It wasn’t intended to be negative just realistic.

I had two main goals, to get HIs to do Citizens re-inspections and to work towards having Inspectors do Septic inspections. The energy audit bill seams promising for those that would like to go in that direction.

Thank you for your effort. I have done inspections for 3 senators, 1 lobbist, judges, FBI, DEA, and many others. You are to be commended for your efforts. Everyone must take up the battle and not let one person stand alone. Each individual must seek their reps and be heard. Way to go John. Each opportunity I get, Tallahassee, local or just plain home owners, I let em know of the BS that is going on. Stand up and be heard, many have lost their lives fighting for this basic right.

If you want to know what to tell the Senator in 1.5 hrs, just find out if he likes to fish, play golf, football etc… open an avenue for communication.

Thank you John for what you are doing for all of us HI’s.