Message Board Sub-Groups

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In response to requests from various inspection related groups, franchises, and associations, I’m considering the creation of message board sub-groups. These groups would be given a private section of NACHI’s message board to discuss group-related issues. The HouseMaster Franchise has shown interest in setting up one such group, as have some members of ASHI, who are fed up with having their posts deleted on the ASHI message board.

Our message board has proven itself as the best place for home inspectors to discuss industry topics. It is technically sophisticated, unmoderated, and highly trafficked, making it a perfect place for home inspectors to ask questions, give answers, or just chat. This board is one of the many ways that NACHI helps the industry as a whole (not just its members). I feel that by offering other inspection-related groups a space on NACHI's board, we can continue this tradition, and continue to promote our message board as the industry's finest.

I originally meant to attach a poll to this message, but I feel as though there's not much of a reason to do so. If anyone has objections to the sub-group system, please post them in reply. I don't see any reason for objection, but feel free to correct me on that count.

Here are the basic guidelines:

Any group must be chaired by one member of that group. The chair is determined by any method that the group sees fit. That chair determines who may and may not be a member of the group. In most cases, this will be determined by some set of guidelines (to get into the HouseMaster group you must be a member of the franchise, for example).

Once a group is established, a section will be created on NACHI's forum. The group's chair will determine the permission settings of that section. Permission categories are as follows:

View topics in section, Read posts in topics, Post new topic, Reply to posted topic, Edit your own topic, Delete your own topic, Set a topic to "Sticky," Make an Announcement, Vote in a poll, and Create a poll.

Each category can be set to one of the following options: Anybody, Registered Message Board Users Only, Group Members Only, NACHI Members Only, or Nobody.

These permissions can be changed upon request by the group chair.

Before a message board sub-group is created, the group must be established and a chair must be chosen. The chair will then apply to have their group created.

Application will consist of the following items:

Please fill out this form to the best of your knowledge.

Group name:
Group description:
Current number of members:
Projected number of members, 6 months:
Projected message board activity (posts/day):
Group's relationship to the inspection industry:
Additional Comments:

Your comments are appreciated. The system for this to work is already built into the message board, so I'm more interested in how people feel about the system, and how it might be improved upon. This is just an outline, but I think it details what I'm thinking of pretty well.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://xsuwzHUBKVc9X7LIZDJhnFGNNDa.html)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Chris

Great idea, I know there are many groups out there who do not have our resourses to do this, I say we should be as enabling over this issue as all others.

"Build it and they will come" ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Cris, The Appraisers Board uses the same software as you are and Wayne has done the same thing there. It works well and we have had some open and some private groups. Never caused a problem. If traffic dropped off to nothing Wayne would simple remove the group.

On another not I have a suggestion, how about creating and 'Ask an Inspector' forum? On the Appraisers Forum we have one 'Ask and Appraiser' It is for the General Public to ask a questions of Appraiser. We don't get a lot of traffic in it but we do get some good questions and interesting discussion. It has even generated some work for some people. I think if we had one here that it could be great tool and it sure wouldn't hurt NACHI inspectors either! If anything it might help to promote us some to the public.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We own our own servers at NACHI and are only using 3% of the space we have. I don’t see any harm in hosting sections for other specific groups. A nice sign of goodwill to our industry.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Well, actually 9% ( 4.4Gigs used of 48Gigs ). Not like 9% is an issue in any way either… just saying icon_smile.gif

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://xsuwzHUBKVc9X7LIZDJhnFGNNDa.html)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

When we get close to using up the other 91%, get another dedicated server. I started this post with the word “when” not “if.”

http://www.nachi.org/stats.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

My first thought was “Gee, Let’s do it, but make them pay”.

But for crying out loud, if we have that much capacity, might as well share so they can get their nose under the tent. Once they see how good it is, they'll be more likely to join.

And that's good for NACHI and the industry.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com