Message to all home inspectors from Century 21 real estate agent.

Do you know how many states require a proctored exam?

Ohio doesn’t.

Dare I say, a NACHI proctored exam would only add cred to the org.

You’d be wrong. We’ve surveyed REALTORs and consumer and none of them know or care which exams are proctored and which ones aren’t. It’s just not anything any home inspector is ever asked: “Did you pass a proctored exam?” It’s just insecure inspectors who give it weight. What adds credibility to an org is its overall bloodline (the average technical strength of its members) and that strength is weakened by requiring proctoring.

I think most states already require a proctored exam for home inspectors anyway (which means InterNACHI requires it as per www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm 1.10 ) and then there are numerous proctored exam required for other inspection licenses like mold, WDO, and radon inspectors. Then there are the schools that teach InterNACHI’s curriculum. They all use proctored exams and quizzes. InterNACHI administers many proctored exams as well. Florida (the largest state for home inspectors) uses InterNACHI’s proctored exam for pre-licensing. The state just doesn’t use InterNACHI’s exam, InterNACHI actually administers the proctoring.

I will confess that we’re currently trying to talk Illinois into dropping their proctored exams for continuing education as proctored exams for continuing education courses do a lot of harm to consumers. Horrible harm.

By “Administer” what do you mean? I took my test at FGCU, no InterNACHI administers to be found there.

I had InterNACHI “set it up” ,which they failed at the first time, and the school wanted to charge me double for missing the first one. I was never notified it was “set up” for me. Sure, I asked for a date but I never got the reply that it (the date) was good to go.

-Carl

We administer our proctored exam (arrange everything) from Boulder, Colorado for the state of Florida. Only the proctors themselves are in Florida. How much did our proctored exam cost you?

Obviously it ain’t ever gonna happen but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep on throwing out there occasionally, I understand and IMO it’s a business decision rather than an org decision, and you know exactly what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

One thing I don’t get is you stated, ““Did you pass a proctored exam?” It’s just insecure inspectors who give it weight.”

Yet then stated, “I think most states already require a proctored exam for home inspectors.” and “Florida (the largest state for home inspectors) uses InterNACHI’s proctored exam for pre-licensing. The state just doesn’t use InterNACHI’s exam, InterNACHI actually administers the proctoring.”

So you also think states that require proctored exams for HIs and different state departments that administer licenses for WDI & Radon that require the passing of a proctored exam do so because they are insecure?

C’mon Nick, you know better.

And when I said it would give the org cred I certainly wasn’t talking about cred to REAs, you know me better than that. I was referring to the inspection industry as a whole. I could care less what REAs think about NACHI, ASHI or any other org. It’s all about me. :smiley: On that note I still think it’s a good idea for you to brand NACHI and CMI to REAs.

Well since I just did one for a Century 21 Agent who told me about people who are not Certified Master Inspectors and I have a perfect record which I can equivocally verify. Those who feel they need to make themselves look good like CC will always get there words in wherever they can on this open MB since they don’t qualify.

Just yesterday from a Client in Toronto who works under and Investor that is on my LinkedIn list.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for scheduling this in, and I appreciate your **attention to detail reputation. **
I will not be able to get to the bank today. Do you accept e-mail transfers?
If not, I will check with XXXX, and send him the transfer.
Please send the agreement and invoice so we may move forward.

BTW the majority of CMI’s do not care how many Inspections they do in a day but how many they do well.

No. And I have no problem with states requiring proctoring for pre-licensing. In fact, InterNACHI provides proctoring services for the very state with the most home inspectors. But proctoring doesn’t provide “credibility” to agents or consumers. We’ve surveyed REALTORs and consumer and none of them know or care which exams are proctored and which ones aren’t. It’s just not anything any home inspector is ever asked: “Did you pass a proctored exam?” It’s just insecure inspectors who give it weight. I’m not saying that a very few percentage of agents and consumers ask inspectors if they passed a proctored exam… I’m saying none ask. Zero.

Now conversely, proctoring of continuing education courses harms consumers horribly and that practice has to end. Aggravation, inconvenience, and fees are deterrents to continuing education (just like taxes deter cigarette smoking). In states that require proctored exams for continuing education courses, home inspectors pay for only the very bare minimum CEs required by their state. In sharp contrast, InterNACHI members VOLUNTARILY complete 3 times the continuing education that they are required…which is most beneficial to consumers.

More and more consumers and agents (like the one who is the topic of this thread) are recognizing that InterNACHI’s technical bloodline is superior to loser non-members. And we have unlimited access to hundreds of governmentally-accredited, robust courses, at no charge, to thank for that.

What happened to the post that was in rebuttal to, and following, McKenna’s?

You may need to rephrase this statement. As has been stated numerous times on this message board, INachi does not certify inspectors. The only certification that INachi supplies is the certification they are a member of INachi, nothing more.

By the way, who pays your salary? INachi or CMI? Are you doing free work for CMI while a INachi employee?

She works for InterNACHI but a big proponent of CMI (Just like me). All the inspectors in her company are Certified Master Inspectors.

Totally not true. Who told you that nonsense? We certify inspectors. Always have. That’s our primary purpose… to certify inspectors. We’re not just certified members, we’re Certified Professional Inspectors and some of us are Certified Master Inspectors. We’re the best certified inspectors in the world.

That is contrary to numerous responses you made in the past. What changed?

I’ve never said that even once in my life. Where did you come up with that gibberish? I’ve always maintained that InterNACHI doesn’t just certify that our inspectors are members… we certify inspectors. Nothing has changed in 20+ years. MICB also certifies inspectors. We’re the best certified inspectors in the world.

You told us this “nonsense” Nick, during a few lengthy discussions on this message board, within the last couple of years. That we were certified members, nothing more.

That is a lie! I never said any such nonsense. Not once in my entire life.

Correct. It was stated numerous times while I have been a member since 2005. Of course the old archived message board is not available for confirmation and finding a term like “certified” or “certification” would be near impossible. Rest assured, it was stated numerous times.

Not once ever in my life. I swear on the lives of my children. I would never say anything so absurd. We’ve been certifying inspectors for years. That’s what we do! InterNACHI’s trademarked professional designation even says “Certified Professional Inspector” not certified member. I filed the trademark, so I should know. The name of our organization is the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, not certified members. www.InspectorSEEK.com (a site I built) refers to our members as “certified inspectors.” Our many logos www.nachi.org/logos call our members “certified inspectors.” Where do you get this nonsense from?

We haven’t archived or deleted any of my posts in many years (about a decade I believe, when we upgraded to new message board software), so everything I’ve ever said is still here for all to read.

But not by me.

I think you are confusing me with Jim Bushart. That has always been his contention (that InterNACHI only certifies that you are a member). He’s made that assertion hundreds of times for many years on this message board. He often even makes that assertion by saying “As Nick has explained numerous times on this message board…” which is why some members think I must have said it. I never did. InterNACHI does, has, and always will certify inspectors… we’re the best certified inspectors in the world.

You aren’t the first to make your false claim that InterNACHI only certifies that you are a member. Here is another old thread showing a member doing similarly and me correcting him: http://www.nachi.org/forum/f13/certified-83943/ Posts 6-7.