Meter can

Texas Standards refer to “meter can”. Is this a proper term?

The 2006 IRC refers predominately to “meter base”. There are a couple of references to “meter cabinet, enclosure and socket” but never a “meter can” that I see. I’m not sure about the NEC, maybe a sparkie can comment.

Appears to have a few names. :slight_smile:

Meter Can

meter enclosures

meter box

meter base

meter socket

Mike is right, the two most prominent definitions I found was;

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Meter Enclosure[/size][/FONT]” - a wood or metal cabinet, or metal socket, installed indoors or outdoors, in which the Company’s metering equipment is located.

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3][/size][/FONT]"[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Meter Sockets[/size][/FONT]" - a meter socket is the base portion of a socket type meter. There are numerous kinds of meter sockets such as light duty, heavy duty, multi-terminal, etc. all with various numbers and sizes of conduit openings. Each particular socket has a preferred application although some are interchangeable.

Thanks guys. Meter can soounded slang. If anyone has a searchable NEC see if meter can is in it. If not I will propose SoP be changed to “meter enclosure”.

I used to tell people their roof was shot until a client asked me with what size bullet.

PS Is there spell check on this board? Where is it?

There used to be a spell check John, now I downloaded the Google Bar and it has one on there.
I think you are right on meter can (slang). :slight_smile:

I suppose we’ll have to change the language when we mention ‘the terminations at the peckerhead’