Meter Installation Question

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What’s your thoughts on this installation. This home has had brick veneer installed over the original wood lap siding. There is a service mast exiting the roof , so I presume that the veneer covers the mast to the meter. The service has been upgraded to a 200 amp service and should not need repairs unless the exposed mast is damaged and needs replacement. Any code references prohibiting this type of installation.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1030761.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: bbadger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In my area this would be a violation.

The code section cited would be 230.70(A)(1)

Quote:
230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

The point of entrance in my area would be considered where the mast penetrates the roof and continues 'inside' the building behind the brick veneerer.

Now the reason I say in my area is because in other parts of the country this is a common installation that is accepted.

I suggest you point it out as a concern or talk to the local AHJ to see what they think.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN