Michigan Governor Snyder wants home inspection reports to include energy information

Join us for a free webinar: “Free Inspection Software for Michigan Home Inspectors”](https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/629218302) on Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 9:00-9:30 PM EDT.

This webinar is free and open to all.

Read what Michigan Governor Synder says: Governor Snyder hascalled on the Michigan Legislature to adopt a measure that would add energy efficiency information to all home inspection reports.

I’ll be attending this webinar. Thanks.

No word from our Ontario Ottawa regulation yet Ben?

http://www.loansafe.org/ri-association-of-realtors-support-home-inspector-licensing

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

(Source: Rhode Island Association of REALTORS) – Buying a home is the largest purchase that most of us will make in our lifetime. That’s why most home buyers pay for a home inspection: to protect their investment.
But what if the home inspector is unqualified and misses obvious signs of termite damage, flooding, an unsafe furnace or a roof on the verge of collapse? Home inspectors are not licensed in RI. This means that choosing a home inspector is like playing roulette: the home inspector can be a top notch professional with years of experience or be an unqualified “Uncle Joe” who printed home inspector business cards two days ago, has no liability insurance, misses defects, costing the buyer thousands of dollars in repairs.
In 2000, the Rhode Island General Assembly adopted a law to require home inspectors to be licensed. The licensing program was never funded. This means that more than a decade later, home inspectors are still not licensed in Rhode Island and have no way to apply for a license even though there is a law requiring them to be licensed.
RIAR strongly supports legislation to update the licensing law. The House approved the legislation in March but the Senate has not.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText13/SenateText13/S0386.pdf](http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText13/SenateText13/S0386.pdf)

Thanks, Kevin and Roy. However, this thread is not about home inspections.

It’s about energy inspections (performed by home inspectors).

It’s about a Governor seeing legislation that all home inspection reports include information about home energy.

This is the wave for all home inspectors to ride.

www.nachi.org/home-energy-report.htm.

Agreed Ben and I will try to make this one but it is a hit and miss for me.

All of my reports for the last three years include “information on home energy”. Hundreds of pages. Nothing new for me.

That’s good. However, any inspector can share Googled information.

Only a Home Energy Report can accurately inform a buyer:

• how much their dream home is going to cost to heat, cool and operate.

Because the inspector enters into the software:

• house data specific to the home inspected, AND
  • the number and age of those moving into the home.

Is this about “home energy information” or “home energy reports”?

Big difference.

It’s about “potential energy savings” specific to the inspected property.

How can he have this put in place when the State of Michigan doesn’t even regulate/oversee/mandate home inspections or inspectors?

I bet HVAC lobbyists want it, so home owners will spend thousands in new equipment. This is about making money. Your governor wants energy information; not audits themselves. You have to read the fine print. Often, vendors/lobbyists lead you off the trail, so they can make money for the companies they represent. That is what is wrong in most states, and at the federal level. It’s the money, not the people.

I bet tradesmen of all types and home builders are also not licensed in your state, right? So how can they “properly” make the repairs? Lawmakers are clueless, except here in Kansas, where the governor stopped our HI laws recently.

You cannot accurately tell anyone how much energy is used in a home, without utility information and fees, which seem to change daily. If you state a “potential”, and that home owner does not reach that “potential” even when he did what you suggested, there could be a problem. Providing the NACHI articles on energy savings is often enough, then let the buyer decide; not you, IMO.