Michigan legislation: House Bill No. 5587

Originally Posted By: pmooney
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found a link to the legislation currently being proposed. This page has both PDF & text versions:

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2004-HB-5587

--
Paul Mooney
Southeastern Michigan NACHI Chapter President
heritage@se-michigan-nachi.org
www.se-michigan-nachi.org
Heritage Home Inspection
Waterford, MI

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Paul,

Just a suggestion on the licensing law. If you are not liking what you are seeing, now is the time to get involved and change what you can, while you can.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

This bill needs work. You need to get involved.

Already working on it. I’ve been in touch with the Representative’s office; he’s very interested in input from the HI’s perspective and is anxious to meet with us. I’m in the process of scheduling a meeting between him, Nick & myself. With any luck, I’ll be able to persuade him to speak at the (soon to be announced) inaugural meeting of the Southeastern Michigan Chapter, another little project I’m trying to coordinate…

Paul Mooney

Heritage Home Inspection

Waterford, MI

Originally Posted By: mberman

icon_smile.gif paul if you need help call me 586-469-0488. had some problems with my inter net provider so i was off line for awhile.matt berman.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Today NACHI member Paul Mooney & I met with Representative Frank Accavitti (D) about upcoming home inspection licensing in MI. Representative Accavitti drove far to make his meeting with us, this despite his grandmother passing away this very morning.

Representative Accavitti's has a cousin who is a home inspector. His other cousin, Dan Acciavitti (R), put thru companion house bill 5588 which funds 5587. The bill is very well written.

Representative Accavitti gave us each copies of each bill and we all went thru them line by line. At the end of his handout was one single page of notes not written by Representative Accavitti, but nevertheless important enough to Representative Accavitti for him to have included them as the only attachment (stapled) to the House Bill copies. Note#2 of this sole attachment reads "ASHI has been problematic in every State because of their position and the perpetuation of the myth that they train and certify members."

The meeting ended with Representative Accavitti expressing his assurance that NACHI members will have full representation on the licensing board.

He has asked to meet with him again to discuss MI using of our new home inspector examination.

Nick

PS. I am so grateful to NACHI member Paul Mooney who made all the arrangements, picked me up at the airport, attended the meeting, bought me lunch, and took me back to the airport. Thanks Paul!

PSS. Please join us at the Western Michigan NACHI Chapter meeting on May 14th: http://www.nachi.org/wmichiganchapter.htm

Also:

Representative Accavitti appears to be running unopposed (deadline for a challenger to declare is May 11th) for his second of three possible terms (Michigan has 3 term limit).

Nick

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Paul & Nick

Great job, what are the requirments to be licensed in the state of Michigan? Does the bill spell this out yet? Thanks, I just RSVP'D for the Western Michigan Chapter meeting. Thanks ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

--
NACHI MAB!

Looks like we picked a good day for the meeting. It actually snowed today.

Michigan weather: If you don't like it, wait a few minutes. It'll change.

--
Paul Mooney
Heritage Home Inspection
Waterford, MI

That’s because the meeting we had with Representative Accavitti was held NORTH of Canada! Yes, I learned that Detroit is North of a portion of Canada.

Nick

Chuck,

No requirements for licensure have been established as of yet. According to their webiste, the bill is currently being reviewed by the House Committee on Regulatory Reform.

--
Paul Mooney
Heritage Home Inspection
Waterford, MI

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I know when we do get such a bill here alot of “HI’s” will have to shape up or ship out.

St. Joseph is about a 2 hour drive for me. If I can get the time off work I will come to the meeting.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: msaari

. The sponsor of the present licensing bill.

MEETING FEE: $20. Make your check payable to ASHI-GLC. The meeting fee is

payable whether or not you have dinner.

When I met with Rep Frank Accavitti last month, he assured Paul and I that legislation in MI will not be biased toward ASHI or any private trade association.

I believe him.

Nick

I am confident that Mr.Accavittie will not be biased against ASHI or any private organization that it can extract money.

Mr. Accavettie is not going to be biased against any home inspection organization, because that would void the licensing benefit to the state.

The benefit would be to the state for two reasons. Control and Financial gain. Licensing would also replace our current right to work in this industry as home inspectors by legally turning it into a priviledge.

Prior to licensing in any field it is called a right to work. After licensing it becomes a priviledge granted to us by the state.

Our right to work in this industry after licensing becomes law will no longer be a right as it currently stands, but rather will become a privilege granted by the state provided the home inspector does two things.

1.) Pays his fee to belong to an organization
2.) Pays his licensing fee to the state.

And when we do these two things we loose a part of us that our forefathers gave their dear lives for. (Our Freedom)

I see no advantage to licensing and I am not for it at all.

Again, I belive that Mr. Accavitti will not be biased to ASHI or to any private organization.

I agree with you Nick.

Michael B. Saari
Oakland Home Inspections

I believe the Rep is attending another upcoming NACHI meeting being put together by Paul.

Nick

As an association, I think we are doing really well with regard to licensing: Assuring new laws will be fair, killing biased proposals, cleaning up existing corrupt laws. Let’s keep up the good work.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

As you are against licensing. Meaningful licensing is very important in assuring the public against those that have shown they are qualified to perform the profession that they are working in. Meaningful licensing requires education, testing, insurance and has teeth built into the law in the way of enforcement.

Let me ask the following. Would you use any of the following if they were not licensed?

Medical Doctor
Lawyer
Plumber
Veterinarian
Day Care for your child
Electrician
Dentist
Real Estate Agent
Podiatrist
Home Builder
Appraiser
Mortician
Engineer
Landscape Architect
Architect
Pest Control Contractor

I am sure that most of the above professions require licensing in most states, some may not. If you can honestly say that you would use any of the above professions if they were not licensed or regulated to insure they follow specific guidelines, you can not be convinced that the licensing of the home inspection profession is a benefit to those that are in it as well as the consumer.

If I had to bet, I would say that 90% of the states will be under some form of licensing or regulation of the home inspection profession in the next five years. We already have around 60% of the states that are regulated in some form.

Licensing is a windfall for NACHI. Licensing (assuming its fair) puts all licensed inspectors on an even playing field, which at that point, inspectors look at http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm and say to themselves… “wow, that’s well worth $289.” The internet marketing value of NACHI membership alone is worth more than $289 to anyone serious about home inspections, and in general… licensed inspectors are more serious.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm pushing for licensing, I'm only stating a fact... licensing helps NACHI. I'm not sure if its good for consumers or good for inspectors... I just know it is good for NACHI.

Nick