Michigan Licensing

Originally Posted By: msaari
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I apologize for not being up to date with the current status on licensing here in Michigan. Has any bill been pased yet? Has any organization been chosen to institute the state testing requirements yet? Much time has passed without any resolve. Where do Michigan Inspectors currently stand in this arena?

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Michael

I went to the Michigan Legislation web site and did a search for upcoming bills in 2005/2006 session.

Nothing came up when I entered both Bills that are still pending. So it appears neither has been reintroduced yet. But we still need to keep aware what's going on.

Looked at the legislation schedule for the first six months...

Now this is the kind of schedule I want!!

http://house.michigan.gov/2005_Session_Schedule.pdf

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: loconnor

I received an email this morning, along with a press release, from Representative Frank Accavitti who reintroduced his HI licensing bill.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Contact: Lindsey Whitenight Phone: (517) 373-0854
Accavitti Reintroduces Bill to Protect Home Buyers
Bill would require state licenses for home inspectors

LANSING- State Representative Frank Accavitti, Jr. (D-Eastpointe) today reintroduced an important consumer protection bill that would regulate and require state licenses for home inspectors in Michigan.
"The actions of unscrupulous home inspectors can bury new home owners in a money pit of unanticipated repairs that should have been revealed in a properly done inspection," Accavitti said. "Without this bill, anyone can hang out a shingle and claim to be a qualified home inspector."
House Bill 4076, the Michigan Home Inspection Professional Licensing Act, would require home inspectors to obtain a professional license from the state and require them to meet minimum educational and professional standards. It also would ensure home inspectors maintain high standards of practice and ethics.
"This is a common sense bill designed to protect home buyers, especially first-time home buyers, from dishonest or unqualified home inspectors," Accavitti said, "A new home is one of the most important investments a family can make and it is crucial that the person inspecting the home is qualified and on the up-and-up."
In Michigan, there is currently no assurance that an inspector is competent in his field, experienced and ethical.
-more-

-2-

Representative Accavitti has met with many home inspectors, organizations and constituents who are eager to see this legislation introduced. These meetings led to positive changes to the original version of the bill and the HB 4076, currently introduced, is a bit different from HB 5587 of 2004. Representative Accavitti has also received positive feedback on the legislation from both sides of the aisle.
"It makes no sense that the state of Michigan requires licenses for barbers and other professions, but not for home inspectors," Accavitti said. "A person can recover pretty quickly from a bad haircut, but recovering form a bad home inspection is a much longer and more expensive problem."
####

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson