Minimum clearance

look below

below where?

If an inspector is going back to their office to research manufacturer installation clearance requirements, they are spending way too much time on that particular inspection and have nothing better to do.

If I find clearance issues (IMO) above a stove (no tape measure involved), I simply “recommend improving clearances above stove”. If my client refuses to improve the clearances and there happens to be a fire, Look at my report…I told you so.

Here you go. Rangehood/microwave unit, 16" clearance, melted door gasket. :frowning:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Is that a electric? (the stove)

There had to be a major problem for the electric top to do that. I’m talking disaster in the pot with flames.:shock:

Exactly, or may have been caused by the microwave.

Yep, electric glasstop.

>I’m talking disaster in the pot with flames. :cool::stuck_out_tongue:

Pot with flames, well I guess the clearance minimum would not make to much difference, right? Unless it can be brought under control in a heartbeat.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Shall we say, then, that 16" is adequate for a good cook but not for a bad one? :smiley:

Chris, when microwaves start melting their own plastic doors, lawyers will all be dancing in the streets !! :smiley:

That may be, depends on what you put in it. I’ve seen kids try to “cook” some strange things. :shock:

The problem we have here in Massachusetts is the Damn lobster pots. They’re so deep that many homeowners can’t even fit them on the stove without hitting the microwave.

My microwave installation must have a huge clearance, because I can’t survive without my lobster & melted butter. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/70/12/23221270.jpg

http://www.thecookduke.com/pics/lobster.jpg

Sounds like my wifes cooking!:mrgreen: :shock:

This one on Monday was at 15"from the gas cook-top.

IMG.jpg

I can beat all you guys,… 13.5 inches from electric cook top to bottom of microwave. When does the madness end? :mrgreen:

Good discussion about this subject here:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Kitchen_Cabinet_Clearance.html

080705-01 032.jpg

My Rule of thumb… Bottom of Cabinet is usually 18" from countertop. Bottom of Microwave even with bottom of Cabinet. 16" minimum Clearance. Any lower, especially over a Gas Cook top, your heading towards big problems. Have Fire Extinguisher handy, preferably strapped to cabinet door next to microwave. :wink:

When I was installing cabinets, we would always have the cabinet above the range set at 31". It was so they could install a range hood or a microwave. When at a home, I check to see what the cabinet is and not the microwave. If it is 30" or higher I can be fairly confident that my clearances are acceptable. If it is less than 30", I will let the client know to check the manual for proper clearances.

Rules of thumb do not apply to listed appliances. The standard clearance requirement is 30 inches to combustibles. If there is a range hood or microwave (listed appliances), the clearance requirement will be in the installation instructions for the appliance.

If you need more clarification you can always call the manufacturer. The number should be on the installation instructions. Just calling something out because you think it is wrong is not the right way to go.