Mis-Matched Compressor and Coil

Hi There:

Never seen this before. Brand new Coleman Air Compressor and Air Handler (March 2021 manufacture date, 410A Coolant). Compressor is 42,000 BTU, and the Air Handler is 24,000 BTU. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance

Ooops… I think I need to get my eyes checked . From Model # I thought compressor was 42,000 BTU, but looking again it is 24,000 BTU. (242 in the model #) Not sure how to delete this post. If anyone can tell me how to, then I will delete. Sorry to bother

1 Like

No need to delete. It was helpful to me for looking up how to date a Coleman unit. Now I know if I come across one.

All you need to do is verify proper operation with the thermostat.

IV. The inspector is not required to:
A. determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the cooling system.

1 Like

Yep, from anyone else tumbling across this post.

They are both 2 ton units

Excerpt from the exterior unit manual

1 Like

I do agree with you Robert and on most occasions I do not exceed the Standards when it comes to this subject. With that being said, I come across situations quite often where I feel my clients need to know more than just whether the equipment was functioning.

I’m curious to know how other inspectors would deal with and report on a certain situation I run into quite often.

For some reference, I live in Indiana where we experience fairly cold winters (single digits and teens) and fairly hot and humid summers (high 80s with 70% to 90% humidity levels).

I inspected a home earlier this year in July. When I arrived at the home, the outdoor temperature was 88 degrees with 84% humidity.

The listing stated the home was built in 1996, Ranch style and had 2,600 square feet of living space with a detached garage.

Immediately upon arriving at the home, I determined that the home originally had an attached garage on the front of the home but had since been converted to a family room/game room area. There was a detached garage built on the side of the home which is irrelevant for the purpose of this scenario.

When I entered the home I always take a picture of the thermostat location and setting. The thermostat was set on cooling, 72 degrees and fan on auto. The thermostat showed the indoor temperature to be 64 degrees. The outdoor temperature the night before the inspection did not get below 73 degrees (this is important information).

While we were in the home, my clients (buyers) kept on commenting on how cool the house was and how they were glad this home had central air conditioning because their current apartment only had a window air conditioning unit and they were tired of being hot (managing client expectations???).

The home had a Rheem air conditioning unit that was manufactured in 1996 and was a 2.5 ton unit.

I don’t normally take measurements but this time I thought it would be a good idea. I estimated the original finished square feet to be approximately 1,792 square feet (32" x 56") and the garage conversion to be approximately 832 square feet (32" x 26"). These measurements were taken outside so the actual living space will be smaller than this.

The home had 2 x 4 exterior walls and had approximately 8" of loose fill cellulose insulation in the attic which is considered low for this region of the country.

When I tested the operation of the air conditioning unit I turned the thermostat to 60 degrees. The unit responded to thermostatic controls and energized and cold air was noted at all register locations. I left it running for over an hour but the temperature did not drop one degree. It was still 64 degrees when I turned the thermostat back to 72 degrees.

More Information: The unit was not low on refrigerant.The HVAC contractor who evaluated the system later stated the unit was fully charged.

Hopefully I have given you enough information. I would like to know what everyone thinks and how you would report on these findings.

1 Like

Was the AC on and cooling? If so, the thermostat was out of calibration or faulty. I would turn the t-stat to a couple different settings to include off to determine if the t-stat was responsive.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I left an important piece of info out. I will edit my comment and give you more information.

1 Like