Missing phenolic insulator: how much of a problem?

Phenolic insulators ore the plastic things that separate conductors as they enter the masthead. My understanding is that if conductors of different voltage are in close contact with each other some voltage transfer can take place, just like it does in a transformer.
My question is, does enough voltage transfer take place to be worth recommending correction or is it not really a big deal. Talking about 120V residential voltages here.

Kenton,
I’m not qualified to address your above question, but I will comment to say that I would report the missing insulator just based on the potential for physical damage (abrasion) that the conductors will receive from movement (expansion/contraction, wind blowing, weight of snow/ice pulling down, etc…) and the potential for moisture intrusion.

No big deal

It seems to me you would have a much more extensive and closer contact as the wires are bundled on the messenger and traveling down the conduit.

…or wrapped around the neutral in the service drop. Seems to me moisture is a bigger concern, and not that much of one.

That sounds related to cross talk in phone lines which is why they are twisted.
I have no doubt that could be true.

The alternating current does produce magnetic fields and think of the tickers we use to sniff electricity so that shows it does leak out if the jackets somewhat.
Will be watching this thread.

???

Service conductors are spose to be kept at least 30cm from communications cables.

I had a ticker go crazy near the downwind side of a barn wall that had no electrical conductors at all in it. All static electricity, from tumbling wind, so some of those things are real sensitive.
Sorry for the drift.

Since it’s required by the NEC, the lack separation between the conductors emerging from the weatherhead would be a defect.

Read his question.
It is about transference.

Your tic voltage detector works by sensing the electro-magnetic field rising and collapsing 60 times per minute through a small coil of wire using the electrical property of induction . It captures this changing field as a voltage that makes the beeper beep. This is the same phenomenon that causes the reading of ghost voltages on adjacent wires one energized the other not(and an open circuit) when using a high impedance volt meters. These voltages can be measured at up to 60 volts.These ghost voltages cause virtually no loss of power as they deliver no current. P=I*V Voltage 60 Current (I) =0 P=0

Inductive coupling like this can be a problem when lower voltage control signal wires and power wires are intermixed due to the control signals being high impedance in nature and thus detecting high voltages.

But to answer the original question two adjacent power line wires in close proximity is not an issue at the mast head. These wires are close together in the final leg of the distribution system from the power pole to the house and current is not allowed to flow because of the insulation on the conductors. Remove the insulation and the fun begins!

I understood the question. Your reference to something “leaking out of the jackets”, whether that be a “magnetic field” or voltage or whatever you were speaking of, is , respectfully, not correct.

Sorry not sitting around googling up to research today.
So instead of ??? what do you know ???:twisted:
Please share.

No fair simply copy -pasting Mr Science above you.

I’m writing the Electrical course for InterNACHI Mexico so the NEC doesn’t exactly apply except I think they must have a reason for the insulator requirement and I’m trying to understand how serious it is. Electrical is so bad here that I’m hesitant to tell inspectors to call conditions defective and recommend correction that are really relatively inconsequential.

What is a “jacketed multiconductor service-entrance cable without splice.”?

“Jacketed”- insulated?

“…multiconductor service cable…”- Is there such a thing as a single conductor service entrance? Or does this mean a service entrance consisting of three single conductors like two ungrounded and one grounded?

“…service-entrance cable without splice.”- Does this mean if the service conductors don’t splice to service entrance conductors but extend into the mast and all the way to the meter no insulator is required?

Kenton, you still in Mexico?

-------------:lol: ](*,) :freaked-:

Hi Dale! No, I’m back in Mexico. I drove down this time. I was back in Boulder for August and September and been back here about three days. I expect to be here for a while. Where are you?

Kenton a big thanks for doing this great idea to help our southern friends .
much appreciated … Roy

Thanks Roy, I’d like to switch the talk about Mexico and travel to here so I don’t hijack my own thread.

If I knew what you were saying I would be able to respond, that was the reason for the ???. I genuinely don’t know what you were trying to say.

Suffice it to say that electromagnetic fields do not “leak” out of simple plastic or rubber conductor jacketing or sheathing, nor are they blocked in any way by the jacketing or sheathing.