Missouri hearing hb553

So was it passed?

An executive session has to be called. An executive session is basically a closed door backroom deal.
Isn’t politics wonderful!

Special interest groups push these laws with these back-room dealings, because they are afraid that we will show up if there is another hearing. Let us know if there is one.

Pat -

For the past 10 years or so there has been a group of professions in Missouri that meets in Jeff City quarterly. They were started by Fred Kratky (Past Pres of St. Louis Board of Realtors and I believe Past Pres of MAR) and called the MHIA (Missouri Housing Industry Alliance). It was a group of people that represented the various industries industries in Missouri that are involved somehow in the housing industry, etc.

The MHIA consisted of realtors, home builders, title companies, real estate appraisers, mortgage lenders and brokers, insurance companies, auctioneers, termite treatment companies, home inspectors, code inspectors, etc. and supposedly provided a voice to the state leaders and Governors Office on what the state housing trade wanted or needed OR did not want.

At these meetings they discussed various issues that might affect everyone involved in the housing industry in Missouri. I was asked to be one of the original group that participated in this Alliance. Each trade or profession had 1 or 2 people representing their interests on this group.

There was 1 ASHI home inspector from St. Louis, 1 from KC and 1 from down around Joplin or Springfield (NAHI) in this Alliance to start. I represented the KC side of the state because I belonged to NACHI, ASHI and NAHI and trained inspectors). At one time James Braun was asked by Nick to attend and give Mid-Missouri and NACHI a better role. The state Lobbyists for all these groups also regularly attend.

Over a period of time this MHIA group has turned out to be mostly just the St. Louis and Mid-Mo professions and interests. Most every trade out of KC or the west end of the state, etc has dropped them (builders, inspectors, appraisers, etc, etc). In a way thats dangerous because we have a group SUPPOSEDLY representing all of us / BUT that is really run by MAR and the St. Louis crowd.

During the 10 years I attended these meetings I made a lot of contacts in other groups, that would not come out and brace the realtors head on (they didn’t have a dog in the dog fight), but could see some of the issues we Inspectors were being faced with AND the call or email me sporadically telling me of things they’ve seen or heard going on in the Jeff City meetings. They will share info or give me a heads-up on things BUT the way our open forums invite outside lookers or blabber-mouths in our own group they don’t want their names bandied around.