Mock Inspection Reports question

Hi, I am confused on writing 4 mock inspections. Do I wait until I complete ALL sections before doing mock inspections or is that required to be done before I started taking the course? I tried signing affadavit and it states I done all prerequisites EXCEPT 4 mock inspections. Thank you

4 Likes

Thanks, do I do them now, or after I complete all the trainings? I have completed 4 of the 14 courses so far.

The steps are listed here.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was helpful. My question is as a newcomer to home inspections, does it matter that I am not experienced with inspection reporting at this time?

They’re fairly easy to navigate through. Check it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The purpose of performing the 4 Mock inspections is to put your training to use, and show InterNACHI that you are ready to begin performing inspections and charging a fee for your services.
The Report is the product that you are selling your customer. If you are not fully trained and cannot generate a quality report, you have no business charging for your service. A bad report is doing your clients a disservice and can potentially bring harm to them.
IMO, the fact that you cannot determine this on your own indicates to me that you are not ready to proceed further.
Good luck.

2 Likes

It’s his next steps after the COE and the SOP courses. The online checklists are not that difficult to navigate through.

His other courses come after completing the first 6 steps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. I haven’t read that since I joined over 15 years ago! Now that I have, I think it needs updating/tweaking. 15 years ago, damned near everyone that came to this Org had some experience in the trades. Nowadays, that seems to be the unicorn in the room. Seems damn near every newbie has zip for real world experience beyond watching HGTV and Google searches for the next ‘get-rich-quick-scheme’! The OP’s post proves that, IMO.

1 Like

Jeff, my kiddie blocks were pine 2X’s cut at many different angles left behind! I understand your reply, it is kind of crazy how someone watches TV/ Youtube and think they are ready for real estate or home inspecting. I worked my entire 52 years in construction, from listening to my family talk during childhood to physically working in the field. I thought I have seen it all until I started pursuing this career. Back on point, I am asking if to actually start the course and have some credible hours logged in somewhere(CT accepts Internachi). Can I spend time learning more and do mock inspections when I feel I am ready? Like in a month without no documentation?

1 Like

Yes, do your mock inspections when you are ready. It should be the last thing you do before becoming a CPI and signing the enrollment agreement.

2 Likes

I figured with a strong background in construction it would just fall on my lap, not the case here! I am learning so much doing the courses

4 Likes

I viewed a dozen or so inspection reports before starting this career and I thought, “this will be easy.”
It is not. Not if you want to be really good at it anyways.

3 Likes

That is the key: “…if you want to be really good at it anyways.”

2 Likes

I had the same question (now in December 2023), so I’m glad I found this thread. The CPI checklist was confusing for a few reasons: the How-to courses are shown to come after the mock inspections. When I tried to take the How-to courses, it said I needed my license number to get credit for them, and then it says those courses are due within the first year of becoming a CPI. But I need to take the courses to become a CPI, so do I come back and enter my license number later? Or, is that for when I come back for continued education courses? Roofing was my least confident system of a home. I’ve been in maintenance and repairs my whole life, so I really wanted to spend the time and gain the required knowledge in that area. In Ohio, all the courses are required before I get my license, so I was thrown off for a bit. I feel slightly more confident about the CPI and license process now that I’ve read these forums.