Moderator needs to clean up this board

You can ignore people from your profile settings, but their posts are still there you just can’t see the content.

1 Like

Thanks Bob… Not quite the answer I was hoping for… I’d prefer somethign like Facebook has where you “BLOCK” someone and they cease to exist in the world you live in… Oh well…

1 Like

It only lasts for a limited time-
DUH

@bgromicko1 Thank you for showing up to discuss this situation, and for staying on to respond to everyone’s opinion.

I’m new here, and only a guest, not an inspector. I signed up a week ago, and I don’t know if what just happened is normal or not, but to me it feels like I witnessed a meteor strike. I’m in awe.

I’m in awe for three reasons.

1. To find someone on a professional forum like this one, so out of touch with the profession, and so out of touch with any sense of forum etiquette.
  2. To witness that person going unchecked, and wreck havoc in a china shop without being stopped, for days on end.
  3. To find someone who appears to be in a position to correct the situation, initially defending the behavior as nothing wrong.

You offer flagging as the solution. I imagine plenty of flagging has taken place, but the posts remained in place. I can’t flag as a guest, but I certainly looked for how to. I googled for Discourse instructions on how to flag to make sure I’m not missing something. I felt so compelled to flag that I can only imagine that those that do have that power did so with a passion. I don’t think the “3 flags and the post is hidden” is working.

Your multiple requests for someone to point to what the current guidelines don’t already cover seem odd to me, as there nearly isn’t a paragraph in those guidelines that wasn’t violated by these posts, yet you did not take swift corrective action.

If we’re comparing this forum to a park, then her posts were like graffiti on every park bench. If we’re considering this forum a community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation, then her posts were lacking the conversation. Conversation takes a back and forth. Not only did she not respond to any questions or comments, she often did not put enough words into a logical order to even allow for a sensible conversation. She was just yelling like a drunk. Then there are points such as “The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival.” and “Let’s leave our community better than we found it.” and “Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness.” and “Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up.” You get the idea, none of these were followed.

So, this is just my point of view, but this thread would have been shorter (and better for it) if:

1. the flagging worked and those posts would have disappeared quicker
  2. moderation would have happened sooner
  3. the response would have been “sorry this wasn’t caught earlier, we encourage free expression but I recognize this wasn’t constructive, we’ve removed the non-contributing posts” rather than the “I talked to her, and on the phone she made sense, so I see no problem leaving this graffiti all over this park”

Thanks again for restoring the park to its original beauty, and for remaining coolheaded through this entire thread. It seems more eggs and tomatoes got airborne than were needed for dinner :wink:

11 Likes

Thanks, Edwin, for the comments.

There’s a park near my house. I can imagine walking through the park with my daughters and seeing a group of people demanding to ban a person from the park community because she was speaking “gibberish” and taking up a lot of space. I’d hope someone in the neighborhood would think slowly, ask questions, and act in a thoughtful way. In the end, everything works out for the better.

And there are Trust Levels to the forum. One has to gain the trust of others in order to flag a post or ignore a poster.

Looks like your Park is a little different and optimistic than the reality of this forum and the Park as described below which is explained very well. Kudos to Edwin and it is people like that we need more in this Park.
I have been in this Park a long time and cannot stand the disruptiveness of people coming in and creating total chaos with no sensical meaning in any posts made. and obviously not even an inspector.
If you want to open this forum to the general public just to get clicks, then I am afraid you are going to loose more inspectors that can help the newcomers that are anxiously getting into the Home Inspection Business and glad to get opinions for seasoned HI’s. This Park is supposed to be for Home Inspectors or the ones taking educational studies through Inachi to become one. It is very obvious to everybody that all the posts that were made did not make any sense to anyone and all it did is pollute the board and take away valuable time to any new inspector that needed help on something but obscured by all the drama that was created by those posts.
If you want to open this forum to anyone in the general public that have no clue on home inspections, you are just gambling to loose more due paying Members.
Just my honest opinion.
You run the show.

9 Likes

THANKS for being here Edwin. Spot on evaluation.
Marcel, you know exactly what wall you’re trying to talk to!

3 Likes

I’m hoping others are listening in the background.

7 Likes

How do you place someone on ignore.

Edit: I figured it out.

2 Likes

I understand your frustration.

I think Ben has made it perfectly clear Marcel, it is time for some of us old dogs to get out of the park and make way for more important conversation…you know like cleaning refrigerators and such…

7 Likes

The problem with your theory is we are a (or suppose to be) a professional organization that is in the public eye. Our businesses are exposed to the bs being condoned here. The truth is, your responses in favor of the bat crazy posts shows how the people in charge of this ship cares more about clicks, good or bad, verses the overall image of the members here.

11 Likes

I agree. This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions.

As a community, we’d rather not ban censure someone who participates in the forum.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply (including “gibberish,” “non-sensical,” or “bat crazy.” It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it . If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

The conversations we have in this forum set the tone for every new arrival. New members, non-inspectors, and people working to become better inspectors should be welcomed. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.

As a friendly reminder, the Guidelines are here, and the Trust Levels are described here.

1 Like

We are listening and agreeing with you 100%
You and few others making this forum alive.

Thank You.

4 Likes

Typical Internachi cat and mouse rhetoric. Membership to the leaders of this org is a joke.

4 Likes

Me too. Same person I’m sure

So what has happened to M Cross? Poof! She’s gone.

3 Likes

He’ll never admit anything Chrissy… … …

3 Likes

I didn’t suspend or silence that forum user. Nor was it ultimatums, hypocrisy, or crowd attacks.

1 Like

Our respected friend and former Member Of The Year,
Chuck Evans has sent a few of us a private message.

Only one person did not receive this due to poor management practices.

Chuck Evans, CMI TREC 7657cevansCertified Master Inspector

Note: I tried to include Ben on this PM, but he has turned off messaging. Feel free to share.

Ben,

Lying does not become you. How about you provide a citation where someone did as you say “ demanding others to leave our community”? Until you can, I’m going to tag that one as an outright lie.

As far as “treat this discussion forum with the same respect we would a public park”: When some miscreant who exhibits mental health issues is permitted to defecate, urinate, vomit and strew used hypodermic needles all around the “park” by those entrusted and charged with administering the park, in the name of keeping “a civilized place for public discussion”, I choose to no longer patronize that park.

What this individual has been engaged in is the antithesis of “civilized public discussion”. You’ve done a great disservice to every professional member and contributor to this board.

Say all the dumb things you like, but try not to be patently and intentionally dishonest in how you characterize what others do and say.

Sent via PM, because I will no longer visit the park that permits individuals to defecate all over it.

5 Likes