Modular home garage walls, sill and stem wall installation

They must be going to install a water table trim board around the house and garage. It will be a challenge getting the drip cap under the siding and corner boards.
download
I see that they have aluminum sheet flashing around the rim joist, but water can still get behind the trim boards.

2 Likes

Thank you, Brian. Make it a great day!

The garage will eventually have a poured concrete floor. The two perimeter joists underneath the walls do look precarious even though the plans call for removing the floor joists.

1 Like

From the literature that I’ve been reading from the manufacturers, that stamp with the “strength axis” and the arrow does not instruct the installer to fasten the panels horizontally on walls. It could be installed vertically or horizontally. However, for roof installations, they are supposed to install with the long dimension or strength axis of the panel across supports and with the panel continuous over two or more spans. Please correct me if you have installation instructions that suggest otherwise for APA panels.

1 Like

Exactly what Ryan said. I think what’s confusing, is the manner in which the floor structure is built. It’s not the norm, as I usually see these homes built on steel beams. Regardless, I re-added the image with some red text that hopefully helps. I’m not sure if calling out Upper and Lower Sill plate is the correct terminology here, as I’m used to just 1 Sill plate attached to the concrete.
a6d462d058a45a9be8fab5bb57a033cad0882d45_2_451x500

For most applications, a minimum space of 1/8 inch should be provided at panel ends and edges to allow for expansion due to pickup in moisture content. When spacing recommendations are not followed, there is increased possibility of unsightly appearance due to panel buckling.

These panels were installed vertically and have buckling between the studs. Oh, by the way, these are my pics along with my personal experience. not that it matters.

1 Like

Any idea what the components are, specifically, that I’m pointing to with blue arrows?

IMG_0642.jpg

Yes, that’s the floor structure missing from the garage. See below, this gives better visibility:
Floor Structure

They also nailed that vinyl siding too tight. Vinyl is not meant to have the nails driven home like that. It should move side to side, or it will warp and crack when it expands and contracts.

1 Like

Of course it is the floor structure, but I was asking about the specific components in the floor structure.

1 Like

I think he was talking about my pic.

Right. Now I see the vinyl siding in your pic.

1 Like

Well, I see that you have got a lot of info from this tread, Nice.

2 Likes

Heck yeah, @sbridges2 . Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Honestly can’t answer that. On one hand, I want to say their drawings are crap, but on the other hand, this is Skyline and they have been around forever and are very reputable. I attached another picture from the spec sheet, and this one of the floor structure looks nothing like the one you questioned. The one in question looks like sheathing on top and bottom. This one does not show that.

1 Like

Nah, was just adding a comment on that siding pic you included. I used to do vinyl siding years ago, and always got on peoples butts for nailing too tight - just a pet peeve of mine which always led me to ask if they RTFM

1 Like