Moisture Meter Readings

At today’s inspection there was a noticeable repair at ceiling main entrance area which was directly below second floor bathtub drain.
The repair area tested 10% moisture while the surrounding areas tested 0% so I reported that homeowner be questioned as to when repair was done and what was the repair. If repair was done a while back, then a qualified plumber should be contacted for repairs.

The exactly how I “test” for moisture, comparable samples at surrounding area. In your case I would definitely report what you detected.

Hate to disagree, but the standard is returning the affected building materials, that are not removed, to level 1 (previous condition before affected). You need to establish what that level 1 is, which can be in the range of 7% to 10% for drywall. I took the drying class too…IICRC-WRT certified.

You are nothing but a jerk. Plain and simple.

Bradley,

Thank you for clarifying the IICRC standards!

David,

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He does a good job of displaying what type he is in his own posts and words.

We kinda figured Dr. Phil is a jerk and full of s hit.

Don’t be too hard on him Linas. Some people like this one can’t see the holes they dig for themselves until it’s to deep to get out of. At that point all they can do is to keep going on the wrong path since they typically feel telling the truth would hurt more than their current path.

Thanks Chris. The link to the NIH was very informative.

Material can surely have levels of moisture in it…is 0 not considered dry?

Dr. Phil could very well be a jerk…

How do you establish level 1 condition (who did you take your wrt cert with?) when you respond to a water damage and the materials are already wet? Did you have them somehow before you showed up to the property? You may be thinking Category, what category the damage was, which has nothing to do with your meter.

This is helpful…seriously! And your not all of the sudden? C’mon with this garbage.

No, not Category. That would be related to the type of water contamination and what protocols are to be used for each Category. Maybe “Level 1” is not the correct term, but the premise is correct.

Establishing Drying Goals

“Restorers should establish a dry standard and drying goal for affected structure, systems and
contents. Restorers should record and document moisture measurements. The dry standard is usually
determined by taking moisture content readings from known dry materials in an undamaged area or
structure, and using these readings to establish a drying goal (refer to Chapter 6 Psychrometry and the
Science of Drying). When it is not possible to locate unaffected materials within the structure, then an
available and comparable structure can be used to establish the dry standard. In the absence of a
comparable building, experience from previous drying projects can be used.”

IICRC S500

Indeed, you should, along with creating logs for each area, and affected material. Do your calculations for equipment, prepare the spaces for drying etc, etc, etc. I have thousands of dry downs under my belt as well as certification in Applied Structural Drying. I can dry a little. Half of our company does restoration. I have two dry downs going as we speak, or as I write. So, It is great that you can quote the S500. I have it right here as well. You have to admit that it is much more in-depth training than NACHI (nothing negative…it is just what IICRC focuses on). At least ASD is. If you haven’t been to Kurt Bolden’s place in Indiana then you are missing out. If you like great training opportunities, this is one of the best. Unless Barry Costa taught you your WRT, then your training wasn’t the best. Barry is the man. So is Kurt and Kurt will even tell you so. He designed and built the Xtreme Extractor and sold it to Phoenix. He has a lab where he tests virtually every piece of gear in the business. You really should go if you haven’t. Great for any home inspector. You won’t need your meter as much either. Mine rarely leaves my vehicle as a moisture meter. I use the GPP’s, temp and humidity functions more. Have done and seen enough with water that I can chase it pretty quickly without a meter. But it is always fun to check materials. Literally!

Bradley,

It is refreshing to see someone who understands the standards they are using for moisture testing and restoration. It appears you are well versed in the IICRC standards.

It is indeed Mr. Scanlan. Thank you for your input. Bradley, do you currently do restoration work or have you ever worked for a drying company? Mr Scanlan, same question for you. Mr. Scanlan, as I appreciate your efforts in comedic entertainment at the expense of others, I ask that you follow me to the professional side of things and speak adult to adult regarding your thoughts. I would also invite you to maintain that level of behavior going forward. Not sure why you and Mr. Andersen and Mr. Dapkus have chosen me for your targeting, but it is not helpful to anyone and a waste of time to play those games with you. So, I am finished doing so in that sense. Even, after the inevitable next one you throw my way. You are welcome to believe and think what you wish. But if you really don’t know, you do a disservice to others by trying to show that person up. You don’t know my background anymore than I know yours. I really don’t look for holes in what people say or do or look for ways to show them up. I think there a great people here and I enjoy hearing about what and how they do things. This place is about sharing thoughts and feedback and learning. I appreciate that the most. All the best and I hope you can find a better place within yourself in that sense.

I agree, the Structural Drying class was very informative for understanding how water damage jobs are taken care of, even if not in the restoration business. I was the only home inspector in the class, but I really took it to broaden my mold assessment understanding. There really is a wealth of information packed into a 3 day class.

Bradley,

That is excellent that you have taken more training than you needed as you say it does help broaden your knowledge on a subject even if you don’t specifically perform one aspect of it. I’ve watched your posts and see that you are serious about improving your knowledge and do not spend any time in self aggrandizing your efforts. Those are two qualities of a good Inspector!

Thank you Emmanuel, I am always learning from others, and trying to help when I can.