Moisture meters & photos

I am looking for opinions for a good moisture meter that has a good display that is relatively easy to photograph. I currently have 2 different General brand meters and the green background is difficult to get a photo that is readable for my reports. Thank you

I used this one for years and years and it was great: Tramex MEP Moisture Encounter Plus Moisture Meter

And, they have a newer one that goes deeper to 1 1/4", I think: Tramex ME5 Moisture Encounter, Building Inspection, Materials, Wood, Timber, Shallow Depth, Drywall, Roofing, Plaster, Tile, Masonry

You can probably find them for less $ elsewhere…Check InspectorOutlet.com

4 Likes

Here’s Mr Tramex at work

rear porch wall water intrusion1

rear porch wall water intrusion4

1 Like

Yep, Tramex photographs well!

Thank you Marc

Outlook-y1ewltbj.png

1 Like

Do those moisture meters have a high moisture threshold hold button? If so, hold the measurement and take a photo holding the meter next to the object.
Remember. Scan objects in a vertical/horizontal square or rectangular grid or a circumference.
1: Start with an objects lowest reading.
Typical I use a wall on the opposite side of the area being scanned to create an average moisture reading. Typically 0 is the reading but it might be a low percentage.
From that average reading, you crate an average starting point in relationship to the object you are measuring. Wood, Laminate, Plaster, Concrete, Roofing.
2: Move the moisture meter in a vertical direction, from low to high, in (1) one foot increments at a time. Tract the reading by taking photos as you scale up the wall or object.
B: Moving horizontally. Move the moisture meter horizontally in (1) one foot increments at a time. Take photo’s of the readings every foot moving to the left, or right, moving horizontally.
Then you can create a grid to zero in on the area with the highest moisture reading to pin point where the leak or source originated.
Hope that helps.

As others have posted, dials photograph well.
The backlit screen on my Flir MR77 also has decent contrast and I have found it to be easy to photograph in dark spaces like under sinks and also in well-lit rooms.