Mold and Termite Inspections

(James S. Saunders, NC License # 3728) #1

I have some confusion about termite inspection and mold. On termite inspections, I didn’t see the reason for a client to pay me for such service or for me to perform one. In NC, the bank is going to order one anyway and call a termite/pest company. If I’m wrong in this thinking, please straighten me out.

(Joe Funderburk, CMI) #2

Banks rarely if ever request a pest inspection. Only if FHA or VA will that happen in NC is my experience. You shouldn’t request a pest inspection unless you are compensated for it. Mold testing is never required by a lender…that’s my experience.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

(James S. Saunders, NC License # 3728) #3

Thanks a bunch. I probably will call later just to clarify some things with it to include a conversation I had with a client the other day. Thanks

(Don C. Hawley) #4

We operate in 6 different realtor association territories.
In 5 the buyer pays for termite inspection in the 6th the seller is expected to pay. Va requires seller to pay for termite inspection. Talk to a number of realtors and other HIs to determine what is normal in your area.

(James E. Braun, CMI) #5

I get $75 for a termite inspection. It costs at least $1400 in my area to get a home sprayed gor termites. Well worth tge money for the buyer.

The only time a lender will request a mold inspection is when the appraiser spots visible mold and notes it in the appraisal on a government backed loan. According to the loan guidelines HUD 4000.1, a loan cannot be written on a residence with visible mold in the living area that is obtaining a FHA, VA or Rural Devolpment.

(Dan Bowers, CMI, ACI) #6

The most obvious reason is to make more $$$$$

the next reason is self-protection for YOU.

the next reason is most banks do NOT order one.

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #7

Every state has different laws on termite Inspections. What is perfectly legal in one state may be illegal in another.

IMHO. Inspectioning for termites is a very different protocol, even if there is a lot of cross over with the home inspection.