I’d like to know when YOU see or smell organic growth, at what point do you recommend further evaluation?

For example:

-on HVAC equipment in the garage
-yellow bloom in closets
-a strong odor under sinks even though nothing is visible
-red algae in showers
-black colored growth in toilet tanks
-white growth of roof decking in attic

Curious where your draw the line? Do you ever just recommend “clean & monitor”? If so, for what?

And when do you pull the rip cord and call for “further evaluation”?

I don’t I am a mold assessor. If you have visible mold then you have elevated mold, even when it is not in the air. Mold always needs proper cleaning.

Target rich environment example A…

Never recommend how to correct an item, unless you are specially trained. Even a mold inspector should not be determining correction, that is what a mold assessor does.

Ok, so when do you recommend further evaluation? In ALL cases above?

I’m looking to establish when calling for further evaluation is the right point.

If the buyer is present they can normally make a decision on their own based on visual and smell. Some want a mold sample which by following the right protocol you can do. Most of the time if Mold is that obvious with no sampling it kills the deal anyway.

Not enough information was given from you for an exact answer. Taking a beginning course in mold, such as NACHI has for free, should help you answer these question. If you still have questions, please feel free to give me a call at 573-761-3581.

Ok, thanks.

Let me ask differently.

The only place you find mold is in the toilet tank. Do you:

A: Point it out and recommend further evaluation?
B: Recommend cleaning with bleach
C: Note it on your report as organic growth and don’t recommend anything.

I’ve never seen mold in a toilet tank. Mold needs organic material to grow in. That’s why it likes wood and drywall paper.

You might be seeing mildew, which is flatter, non-fluffy, and won’t smudge like most molds when rubbed. Bleach will take care of it.

Making a recommendation of what to do about it is perhaps to be avoided. Observe and report…

Here’s the picture. The house was painstakingly remodeled and in excellent condition. Inside the toilet tanks where the only places where I saw this black organic growth.

Call Ghostbusters…

It’s not mildew. Mildew grows outside on plants. Mold can grow inside of a toilet tank if it sits stagnant for a length of time, but could also be a black algae. Common molds, due to deferred maintenance, is common and can normally just be cleaned off of non-porous materials with proper methods. Visible molds caused by excessive humidity and water intrusion should always be called out for further evaluation and testing by a qualified specialist.

Your verbiage should defer liability in both situations. And use the term “Apparent Microbial Growth”, not “Organic Growth”. Microbial growth flourishes on organic material and moisture.

Yes, this is what I am asking. Thanks.

The mold on a hard surface such as inside a toilet tank, will not get to a considered toxic state. The mold has to have at least something for it to feed off of to produce a strong enough mycotoxin that could make a mammal sick.
Washing off with a simple household cleaner is all that is needed, in this instance.

Nice post, thanks for sharing this. In your opinion is “suspected mold” an acceptable term to use in reports?

Thanks Paul. I don’t use the word “mold” at all in a home inspection report until confirmed by a lab. It just sends the wrong message, and I am a Mold Assessor. This is also the position of the major mold training orgs.

Got it, thanks again