More on Ontario Licensing

Csa a770 q&a

I have never understood the CSA…they make up standards for various industries, then charge those very same industries to see these standards, all the while justifying their own existence–am I missing something?

To me its like someone came and painted my house without permission but then charges me admission to look at it…

You are right Stuart. The facts are if the CSA Codes were available to the Professionals only by limited access it would be better for all. Available on line at the time you needed it by a pass code.
Someway of setting it up for viewing like InterNachi would be the way to go. But this would never be done as CSA would never allow such a thing to happen, as they stand to loose so much money.:wink:

Kevin, you hit the nail right on the head. It’s not about improving standards it’s about Money.

Take a look at the CSA financials for last year.

http://www.csagroup.org/annual-report/en/CSAConsolidated2013.pdf

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/02/12/licensing-urged-for-home-inspectors

REAL ESTATE
Licensing urged for home inspectors
The new president of the London St. Thomas Association of Realtors(LSTAR) is calling for stricter regulation of the home inspection industry.
Jim Holody said many home buyers rely on advice from home inspectors when they make a decision.
But because there are no provincial licensing or standards, almost anyone can call themselves a home inspectorin Ontario.
“Professionals with this much influence should be licensed and have proper training to ensure consumers receive a consistent and standardized service,” said Holody, who took over as LSTAR president last month from Doug Pedlar.
The Ontario Real Estate Association is working with the provincial Ministry ofConsumer Servicesby participating in a panel of expertsto review home inspector qualifications in Ontario.
Holody said even well-­qualified home inspectors face a challenging job and can make mistakes that can be costly for home ­buyers.
“With home inspectors, you are not buying an insurance policy. They cannot see behind walls.”
Holody said home inspectors should operate in a licensed industry much like real estate agents, who are regulated under the Real Estate and Business BrokersAct.
hank.daniszewski@sunmedia.ca](http://javascript<b></b>:location.href=‘mailto:’+String.fromCharCode(104,97,110,107,46,100,97,110,105,115,122,101,119,115,107,105,64,115,117,110,109,101,100,105,97,46,99,97)+’?’)
twitter.com/HankatLFPress](http://twitter.com/HankatLFPress)

JIM HOLODY
· 37-year real estate veteran
· Born in Welland, graduate of Western University
· Started out with Canada Permanent in London in 1976, becoming an office manager in 1980.
· Founded Jim Holody Real Estate in 1982.
· In 1990, became a franchisee for Coldwell Bank as First LondonReal Estate Service.
· In 2010, joined Royal LePage.
· Last year sold the business to Royal LePage Triland. -
o ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are good Doctors , there are Bad Doctors
Suck it up
o _________________________________________________________________________________
o
This evening, I have decided to become a home inspector. I’ll be open first thing in the morning and so give me a call. I’m willing to give anything a try!!!
o •
o _________________________________________________________________________________________
o
Can’t speak for them all but I’m two for two getting morons. One guy, when I asked how the attic looked, actually said ‘oh, you want me to go up there?’.

Yes dips__t, I’m not paying you for your conversation. Moron.
o _______________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree. I bought a home, with an inspector (recommended by the realtor) and it had some small problems, easily rectified, but it did affect my descision.
A home inspector, recommended by the real estate agent, is under pressure to provide a favourable report, to facilitate the sale. For this, he gets a nominal fee, and a kickback from the agent.
Is this corruption? I think so.
Home owners should be able to sue the agent, and home inspector, when major problems arise after sale.
§ __________________________________________________________________________________________________
·
HowieNormus
8 hours ago
o
o
What did we do before there were home inspectors? We did the due diligence ourselves or called in a more knowledgeable friend. You shouldn’t be relying solely on the sayso of a stranger anyway, but as another opinion.
o ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
§
this is a product of a generation of kids that were raised being told that they didn’t have to do anything and that learned that if they whined enough they would get a new video game to shut them up. I came from a generation that as a kid not only did you help Dad drywall, you had better like doing it or you were going to lose privileges. try that with a kid today, CAS would be at your door for child labour.
What you end up with is a generation that wouldn’t know drywall from lath and plaster or good from bad in anything to do with a house so they have to hire some clown to come out and guess.
I know of a house where I was asked for a second opinion as favour by friends because I have been in the trades forever, a “home inspector” said there were zero deficiencies, within 15 minutes I found that the bathroom fan was terminated in the attic dumping wet air up there. That alone was enough for me to recommend to my friends that they walk away as it meant insulation wasnt working properly because it had gotten damp and also was a good chance of mold. When asked about this the “home inspector” said he didn’t go into the attic because it there wasn’t anything important up there.not saying I am smart but as a kid if I didnt help dad do renovations I was cut off of all privileges except the bathroom and as a result I learned a lot.
§

Thanks Roy I just read this before getting my day going and it is true right down to the last letter.:wink:

Yes Kevin you are right on. If you are an excellent marketer you are busy, at least that is the way it seems in the GTA.