More Structure Needed

Took national test today and didn’t do as well as I would have liked. Just want to voice some concerns with the process. I paid three thousand dollars and completed the 30 required parallels with two different mentors. I gained much knowledge from these two but my concern is that neither has ever had to take the national test, (which I found out only after starting mentorship) as they have been grandfathered in. If a mentor hasn’t taken the test how could they possibly know what areas to focus on. There was much on the test that it would have been helpful if these items, areas and situations were pointed out or reviewed during these parallels. Wouldn’t it make much more sense if there were some guidelines in place with what should be reviewed during these sessions. I value the opinions of others in the trade and would greatly appreciate constructive feedback.
Lori Sipple

Even people who have taken the test can’t tell you what you need to focus on.

The key to passing the national exam is study, practice test, repeat until you have identified and filled every discernible gap in your knowledge. If you encounter anything that doesn’t make complete sense to you, go back and study - not restricting yourself to your study materials - until you have a full and firm grasp on the system(s) involved.

Most people come to this profession after years in the construction business, and even then it takes a good deal of time and effort to successfully prep for the exam.

Once, you do pass the exam, your education has only begun. You will encounter stuff that was never in your study guides. Same as now, when you identify a gap in your knowledge, fill it.

Hang in there, and best of luck!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate the advice and encouragement and will take it to heart and continue studying every piece of relevant information I can get my hands on. Failing at this is not an option. Once again Thank you!!!