more than one GFCI on circuit

Do you inspect?

The real world has surprises for you.

1 Like

So you agree that you misread the OP?

Nope

1 Like

That still doesn’t say that one is on the load side of the other but regardless of how it’s wired it’s code compliant which is the OP’s question.

That was not the way the OP posted the question. You are making an assumption that they meant wired from the load terminals .

There would be no nuisance otherwise. :roll:

Nope…No NEC Code Violation…

Thanks Paul, we always seem to go sideways after 5 or 6 posts. Always good info though

Found this thread when looking for the same issue. I just tripped a GFCI in a kitchen which appears to have 5 of the things on the same circuit. Had to reset 3 of them. Are they wired incorrectly or is it possible that a ground fault anywhere on the circuit could trip all the GFCI devices on that circuit?

1 Like

Sometimes, Yes… …

No it is not what the forum is for.

And one can grow thicker shin and sidestep the turds and pick up the the gold nugget answers.

3 Likes

Alright. Thanks for commenting.

Jacob,
Hang in there many here can help you. Let’s start with how did you test the GFCI?

Tripped with a Klein outlet tester designed for GFCI and AFCI testing.

For the photo, tripping outlet A tripped B, both outlets at C and D. Tripping outlet B tripped A and both outlets at C* but D stayed on. This is the top and bottom of a kitchen counter.

I am thinking B and C might both be fed from the load end of A, and that A must be fed from the load end of D.

*Come to think of it the right outlet at C didn’t click when I pushed reset and the light possibly came on after the upstream outlets we’re back on.

Anyway I was just wondering about whether or not they would trip due to a current drop if wired a certain way. If the GFIs are isolated with pigtails off a branch circuit line would they still trip the neighboring outlets?

I’m trying to understand your drawing are A and B the GFCI devices?

How is it a nuisance?

Once multiple GFCI’s are tripped on the same circuit you have to reset them in a specific order. I once did a house with 4 GFCI’s on the same circuit. You had to reset them in the order they were in the series.

1 Like

Curious the age of the home and if it is/was a 2-wire system, thus the installation of GFCI’s at multiple outlets?

1 Like