Moving back too Long Island, NY

Hi all,

Im new to InterNACHI and I hope this type of post is allowed. I started learning how to be a home inspector in PA went through the entire AHIT training and started looking at jobs and they all offered InterNACHI memberships that’s why I’m a member. Not to mention the training here is amazing. I was wondering if there are any Long Island inspectors here that can give me some hints on getting started in Long Island. I am looking for companies that are hiring, tips on how to get my license in NY, other inspectors in the area, and general tips and tricks. The best thing about this is that I had a job offer from an inspection company in PA the day we decided to move back to Long Island.

Any help or tips would be great.


1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Richard!..Enjoy! :smile:

Hi, welcome and good luck!

You might try to contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring.
Here is the link:
And the link for CPIs:
P.S. Welcome to our forum. Enjoy!

Also, to get some generic SEO get your signature on this forum. Her is how:

SIGNATURE: Click on your face in the upper right hand corner of this page. Then click on your name to the left of the bell. Then click on preferences. Then click on profile and scroll down to signature and fill out the information that you want to appear under every post that you make. AND LAST, scroll to the bottom of the page and click SAVE CHANGES.

Welcome to the forum Richard. :+1:

Hi, Richard.

We have everything you need to be a successful home inspector in Long Island, NY.

Start with taking advantage of all of the resources provided on our New York Home Inspector webpage at, which includes:

  • NY home inspection insurance
  • NY home inspection agreement system
  • List of InterNACHI inspectors in NY
  • The InterNACHI Long Island Inspector Chapter
  • Free real estate CE courses you can provide to NY licensed agents
  • Radon tester certification for NY
  • WDO inspections in NY
  • and on and on.

If there’s anything you need or questions you have, feel free to reach out to me and your Education Team at

You will need to contact NY Home Inspector Licensing at the DOS (Department of State) and make an inquiry if they will accept any training, licensing or certification for your NY License. Based on your comments and questions it is my guess they will require you to take some NY State Based License Qualification Training and pass the presently required licensing exam (National Home Inspectors Exam). As of right now, the qualification class is 100 hours in classroom comprised of 4 Modules of 25 hours each, the 40 hours of supervised “Field Work”. The supervision is responsibility of the school OR another licensed inspector OR a NY State Licensed Architect or Engineer, usually Structural or Building design - not ANY engineering field is accepted. If you want more details check the NY State DOS, Division of Licensing Services Website (not the easiest to wade through) or give me a call at 518 827 4852. My company is also an approved training and continuing education provider.