Must be my month

Originally Posted By: gbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The listing agent called and told me that the seller is a general contractor. That he and his roofer could not understand why I had a problem with this finished product. Just wanted to get your opinion.

![](upload://8SfsJ4gs7QuGLe630j8tJNkPocZ.jpeg)

This is a new roof that was just installed.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Greg,

Let me guess. This is a general contractor that had 90 hours of training, passed a state exam, and is now licensed by the State of Florida

OR

This is a general contractor who has been in business for 5 years and has done work for compensation for 250 clients??

You can educate, you can license, you can still get shoddy work.

Nice pic by the way!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

They attached all of the new 4x4s that supported the back porch roof. Notice that they are just toe nailed. Another quality job.

Yes you really have to wonder about them being the expert.

The worst part was the agents tone. Like I was just a lowly home inspector just wanting to be troublesome.

![](upload://7imZ4Fx0GdRfdiHu9nHNSyQtzdd.jpeg)

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Greg,

Jay beat me to the punch but it just goes to show you what you are up against when the entire public is under the impression that just because someone has a license they know what they are doing. I have had the same discussion with a GC on his home that he was selling. The first words out of his mouth as I was getting out of my truck was. “Hi, Im a general contractor and I built this house.” He should have been ashamed to say it too after I saw some of the work that went into the home. We have seeing a lot of shoddy work (especially roofs) since the hurricane. I even had a roofing contractor try to hire me to pass his work on a house that he had done. They had hired a bunch of fellas from south of the border, dropped them off at the home and never came back until the job was done. Needless to say I passed. The neighbors had told the buyers the work crew was putting the felt on vertically across the roof. I fully expect to hear and see a lot of roofs beginning to fail in the next couple of years or sooner.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Greg,

That looks like a good bird house! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: staylor

Greg,

Find out if a permit was pulled for the reroof and the structural post replacements. If yes, was it inspected and approved?

Thanks Steve I will. I will be glad when we get buildfax. I sure could use it for that ac unit I told you about.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: lwillick

Hi Greg:

Don’t for get that quite often realtors are realtors because they don’t know much about any thing.It’s the dollar that they are after. You are there to protect the interests of the purchaser and to also in the long run improve construction practices and applications.

Regards

larry icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: bpotts

Question the roof is 10/12 with all metal roof material and the ceilings are all chathedral so no attic space shouldn’t there be some type of venting?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Greg I love the second picture, doesn't it get a little breezy down there on occasions ???? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: srowe

Here is an owner/builder project in NE Fla. Builder thought he could save money doing work himself… plumbed all hot water with 1/2" , for 4/2 (washer, kitchen, 2 full bathrooms). I wonder what the inspector thought of this (2004 house).

![](upload://kczY1dA2cGWM1iWtORJYujDxLK2.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: mpelz

Greg,

Saw the BuildFax reference and couldn't agree more...this is a PERFECT example of the kind of benefit BuildFax is going to provide.

Its coming.

Mike