Must we replace old waste pipes?

Originally Posted By: Pamela Perry
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve just purchased a 70-year old home with original water (galvanized steel and cast iron) and waste (galvanized steel) pipes. My home inspector recommended replacing both the water and waste pipes. We plan to re-pipe the house as necessary prior to moving into it, since we’re also gut-renovating the 2 bathrooms. I had 2 reputable and recommended plumbers provide estimates to me of the cost of re-piping the house. Plumber A suggested that we replace water and waste pipes. Plumber B suggested we replace only water pipes and not waste pipes, on the basis that waste pipes don’t have standing water and therefore aren’t as prone to build-up and corrosion. Plumber A’s estimate is $10,000 higher than Plumber B’s. We’re feeling like “poor” new homeowners and want to save money, however, we’d like to do the right thing. Do you think that replacement of waste pipes in a 2000 square foot home accounts for the $10K difference between these bids? Do we need to replace all of the waste pipes? Can we replace waste pipes just from the new bathroom fixtures to the existing vertical stacks? What if we just replaced the horizontal waste pipe in the basement? I’d love some advice!!

Originally Posted By: Guest

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Do it right the first time. icon_wink.gif

Replace it all.

It wil save you alot of head aches in the future, you may even have problems getting home insurance coverage the way it is now.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I agree with the above…and ask Plumber “B” for his estimate for replacing the pipes…doubtful it will be $10,000 on a 2000sft home.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: staylor

Get more bids from atleast 3 LICENSED plumbing contractors. Have the bids include types of materials used. Make sure all bids specify the same type and amount of work. $10,000 seems high to me for an entire repipe for a 2000sf home.

Originally Posted By: jvalenta

Pam,

If it was my house and if I had a skill level that would allow me to do the plumbing myself; I would tackle it. I’m not sure if the home is a 2 story or ranch but the materials needed to complete the job would not be that much. You could do the home in sections as money allows. There are many good “How to do” books out there.

If I didn’t have the skills required, then I would go and have it all replaced; the walls will have to be opened up anyway.

John

Heartland Home Inspections, LLC Omaha, NE

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Pam,

If you do end up replacing the waste pipes, I'd recommend insulating the pvc for sound wherever possible, as it will definitely be noisier than the origional waste plumbing. Especially the 2nd floor to the 1st floor.

Adam

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If you aren’t sure of whether you need to replace the cast iron waste pipes, many plumbers will use a camera system to inspect them for around a couple hundred bucks. At least you’d know their condition.

Just a thought.