My first Zinsco panel

This is what I said…
The service panel brand was Zinsco. Zinsco panels are reputed to have a high rate of circuit breaker failure which can result in a fire or shock/electrocution. The Inspector recommends that before the expiration of your Inspection Objection Deadline, you consult with a qualified electrical contractor concerning the necessity for replacing this service panel. Information about defective Zinsco panels is widely available on the internet.
CameraZOOM-20150618125742083.jpg

Inspection Objection Deadline.

Never heard that one before. :slight_smile:

I think he means before the close of escrow or contingency dates.

I understood what he meant, just never heard it put in those terms. But I have only been in real estate or inspections for 30 years. :wink:

Frank, if you found real information on Zinsco panels being defective on the net then provide a link in your report. Don’t make the client search for it.

In MD. we have to say, “qualified, licensed electrician”
YMMV

First and only time I’ve heard or read that was in Kenton’s narratives.

Newbie :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Get used to seeing them - CA is littered with them.

Hopefully, you inspected it as if you would with any other panel by removing the dead front. Despite what the Internet tells you, not all Zinsco panels are “bad.”

I would also suggest you use a term/phrase that is more familiar in the industry. I use “during your inspection contingency period.”

Appears to be a standard utility meter box to me.

I did remove the dead front. Cloth wiring had some cracks in the insulation so I recommended that the client have a licensed electrical contractor evaluate and give the client an estimate to repair before the end of the inspection contingency period. Thanks for the comments guys.

Based on the style of that panel, my guess is that the residence was constructed between 1960 & 1970. The “cloth covered wiring” would be cloth covered NM, which is not susceptible to the same issues associated with cloth covered TCCW wiring, which has a rubber insulator.

Generally, “cracks” in the cloth sheathing are not much of an issue with this type of wiring. You’ll often see the outer jacket completely worn off in attics and other areas where the NM is exposed. In those instances, it’s warranted to call for repairs to the wiring.

There was a “rubber” coating under the cloth that was cracked just before the breaker on the Murray subpanel. It’s a 1948 house that was moved and “upgraded” in the mid 60’s. The cloth wiring was at the newer subpanel, which was a mix of cloth and Romex.

It’s a common term in CO, but the consensus seems to be “inspection contingency period” and I like that. Funny, this is the first time this has been mentioned.

I think that term appears in about 3000 library narratives. Now I’m sorry I found this thread.

I wouldn’t worry about changing anything Kenton. Even the best libraries need to be customized to specific regions.

“Inspection contingency period” is a term used in the standard sales contracts for the National Association of Realtors, which is, in turn, used by state and local Realtor associations. That’s what I meant by being more familiar to the industry.

I’m changing them as I find them. Only 3000 you say?