My Letter to Representative Grant

Representative Grant just two days ago introduced House Bill HB-4171 Mold-Related Services to repeal the Mold Assessor’s license. Following is my letter to him encouraging him to add repealing the Home Inspectors license.

======================================

The Honorable James Grant
**Capitol Office **
**1003 The Capitol **
**402 South Monroe Street **
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1300

Dear Representative Grant:

The legislation addressing HB-4171 Mold-Related Services is of paramount interest to me. Although I currently hold a Mold Assessor’s license I am in total agreement with repealing this license as the current standards are below the standards of the association to which I belong. Furthermore I would like for you to consider adding repealing the Florida home inspectors license to your current bill.

The home inspectors license as it currently stands is without any rules, Standards of Practice, nor does it provide any consumer protection. Furthermore, due to loop holes there are organizations and schools helping uneducated and inexperienced people obtain a home inspectors license in as little as 14 hours of classroom attendance.

The process of inspecting a home is complex requiring understanding in many systems like electrical, plumbing heating & air conditioning and roofing. Prior to licensing the home inspection profession was more highly regulated though the various home inspection associations operating within the state (InterNACHI, FABI & ASHI). The state of licensing today allows almost anyone to apply for a license and the public is deceived into believing these newly recruited individuals are equal to those who have participated in hundreds of hours of education and have performed hundreds of home inspections.

To save the state money, embarrassment and to preserve public trust I implore you to consider adding the repeal of home inspector licensing to your current bill and returning the profession to 3rd party regulation. The Sunrise Study conducted in 1994 by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation concluded the highest form of regulation for the Home Inspection Profession should be registration, and this could be accomplished at the association level. Thank you for your consideration of my viewpoint on this matter.

Sincerely,

Joe Burkeson - HI-176, MRSA208
11705 Boyette Road - Suite 404
*Riverview, FL 33569 *
813-864-7697
E-mail address