Mystery caller

Bingo

I thinkthis suit in Texas comes close.

Interesting read. Thanks.

The Maze -vs- FIG lawsuit was successfully mediated and dismissed prior to the trial date. Terms of the settlement have yet to surface but they may in time unless there was a gag order agreed upon.

Any more tips on how to successfully sue Home Inspectors you care to share in this area of the Message Board Nick??

B…R…I…A…N!!!:twisted::twisted::roll::roll::shock::shock:

I do not discuss an inspection or the report with anyone other than the client, or the client’s agent or lawyer, if the client authorizes me, in writing.

I have had many seller’s agents, seller’s brokers, seller’s lawyer, contractors, sub-contractors and even a city inspector or two call me to complain about some stuff.

My answer is always the same, “I am sorry, but the state law, and national industry standards prohibot me from discussing the inspection and the report with anyone other than the client.”

Simple, and keeps me from a lot of grief.

Hope this helps;

Standard Contract provides the seller of a copy of our report… at least here.

They’ve (sellers) called me lots of times over the years…

As recently as last week, from Home Depot, asking me if I used a Klein type of 3 Bulb Tester w/a GFCI button as they wanted to make sure that their new house had protection near the sinks, it was a rental and he couldn’t see hiring me…oh well. I had inspected there previous home which was modern one and none of the bathroom GFI’s worked, seller couldn’t believe it and was mad at the builder.

Some of the inspections that I’ve booked have been from the sellers calling me as they are looking for an inspector.

So yes, the sellers looking at our reports is a liability to some extent, but if you a providing a good service, our report is our best marketing tool ?!

Is this a requirement of the state law or merely of the real estate contract of sale?

In our area, there are all sort of contract’s of sale that specify all sorts of silly things (prohibit home inspection, limit backing out of the deal unless the defects exceed $5,000 in cost, etc), but I am not held to those terms because a) Illinois has a state HI law and b) I am not a party to the contract of sale.

As my Dad used to say, “The beauty of standards is that there are so many of them.”. :wink:

They always ask me if I’m a NASHI Inspector. :mrgreen:

I totally agree with this. I would just over your work and all the details just in case she does call back. If it comes to it have a colleague check your work to make sure you aren’t at fault for any reason. She is just probably some angry person that has nothing better to do.

Sell My Music online