NACHI Chatter From Another Site

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Joe F. - You are a friggin mind reader. icon_lol.gif

My humble way of stealing some credit for your brillant wordsmithing. Damn, I wish I could do that.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Scott Warga

One thing that many people miss (I did to) is that allot of the bashing that happens here if from non-members of NACHI.

I stopped responding to a thread here because I was being berated and harassed by another non-member. When I signed off I got 4 e-mails and a phone call from NACHI members that wanted to let me know that they did not like what the other guy was doing either.

This lets me know that some NACHI members have a high moral fiber and that it is the fact that this forum is open to anyone that makes it appear that NACHI is bashing everyone else.

I do respect people that have been in the trades for a long time. Even more so if it was the HVAC trade because it deals with electric and plumbing also. But I do not believe that because you have been a framer for 20 years that you should not have to meet the same requirements as everyone else. I believe that your experience will make you a better inspector in certain areas and you should market that as suck.ie.. You can hire the kid that just got out of home inspection school or you could hire the guy with 25 years construction experience including framing, electrical and HVAC.

--
Scott M. Warga
President
Ark Inspections Inc.
Gilbert, Arizona

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Quote:
I do respect people that have been in the trades for a long time. Even more so if it was the HVAC trade because it deals with electric and plumbing also. But I do not believe that because you have been a framer for 20 years that you should not have to meet the same requirements as everyone else. I believe that your experience will make you a better inspector in certain areas and you should market that as suck.ie.. You can hire the kid that just got out of home inspection school or you could hire the guy with 25 years construction experience including framing, electrical and HVAC.

But, you didn't answer my question. Do you respect my previous experience as valid qualifications for entering into this field on my own? I've been performing commercial inspections for a Fortune 10 company for many years, but alas no, they werent home inspections. No, I had no formal training. Yes, I learned from chemical and civil engineers, and architects. I ran multi-million dollar construction projects, which pulled from every trade. I graduated from NIBI. I carry E&O insurance. I am a published author and professional communicator. I am respected by all local AHJ inspectors, whereas many other HIs are not. So tell me, am I qualified in your eyes?

Quote:
But I do not believe that because you have been a framer for 20 years that you should not have to meet the same requirements as everyone else

And which requirements are they? Many inspectors have years and years of experience, have passed the NHIE, and have logged thousands of inspections. Yet, they still get sued, and many are horrible inspectors. Yet, they apparently meet "the requirements".

Please explain... Sorry if I dont follow your logic.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Scott,

That's a pretty big deal for you to say that. I think it's great.

Joe F., I don't think most people can't relate to your background (coming from a similar one myself) and how it should provide some sort of credentials in the H.I. business from the start, but generally doesn't.

From my vantage point, Scott's concession is plenty for me. Now, I hope he can maintain as you continue to drive your point home.

He's the kind of guy we need here.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Joe,

It sounds like you are very knowledgeable and probably a good inspector. I don't know what the requirements are for your state if it is the NHIE so be it. If you have all of that experience I would take & pass the test, then (If necessary) contact the authority that oversees inspectors in your state and give them a copy of your resume. It is up to them to determine if you are qualified, not Me.

Quote:
Many inspectors have years and years of experience, have passed the NHIE, and have logged thousands of inspections. Yet, they still get sued

Make no mistake, people can and will sue you over anything. If you don't believe me go buy coffee at McDonald's and see if they don't let you know It's Hot. If you are a good inspector with a good lawyer you have a better chance of winning.

To be honest you sound like the kind of guy that I would go for a motorcycle ride with, Stop and have a good steak with a couple of beers and talk shop.

I to am respected by the local municipal inspectors, They used to come on my job sites now I go on theirs, the super will say "Well the city inspector passed it", and I will reply, "really, then you don't mind if I call him and talk to him about it. I've got his number right here in my cell phone." ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

They look like this and say OOOOK

--
Scott M. Warga
President
Ark Inspections Inc.
Gilbert, Arizona

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Scott Warga wrote:
When I signed off I got 4 e-mails and a phone call from NACHI members that wanted to let me know that they did not like what the other guy was doing either.

Same thing happened to me after Kurt booted me from the ASHI Forum. Many e-mails stating they wish Kurt would either boot himself off or just go away.

It always (with one exception) takes two to argue. The exception being when Kurt carried on about me at TIJ, carried on all by himself, without any input from me.

If I understand Mike correctly, Flame 'N Blame is where you regret what you said the day before, but then go on with whatever you are doing. Yet, under that same 'forgiveness' mantel, he as un-invited me, because he does not want to take a chance that there might be a problem.

Wait, isn't that what Flame 'N Blame is for? Oh, it's for everyone ELSE, right Mike?

Scott, bashing NACHI here takes place because everyone is invited to participate, unlike some other forums, it can deal with it all.

Scott, you really should join NACHI, after all, with ASHI Branding marketing, you should also take advantage of all other available marketing methods. If ASHI is successful, you are ASHI, if ASHI is not successful, you still are, because you've spread your eggs around into other baskets. This is a serious suggestion because you are one of the good guys, and I would like to see you succeed regardless of which, if any, national association ends up taking the 'marketing prize'.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Scott,

Thank you for your post. Although you and I disagree on some things, I believe we probably have quite a few things in common. Too bad you're not up this way. I know a great steak house. I'd have to dust off the bike, though. Havent had it out in about 4 years. You see my point in all this. I'm not against licensing or qualifications, per se. Provided however, that the process isnt controlled or influenced by a single group. In my case, there is a larger picture, which encompasses relevent experience. I believe that an inspectors qualifications needs to include life experience, as I believe that just attending HI training and working for an inspector for a while doesnt necessarily qualify you either.

Joe H,

Thanks for the post. You echo my sentiment, exactly.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Quote:
Too bad you're not up this way. I know a great steak house. I'd have to dust off the bike, though. Haven't had it out in about 4 years.

Why would I want to be up that way. I woke up to 55 degrees this morning and it is supposed to be in the low 70's today. My bike will be out of the garage 10 minutes after I get home from church.

Have a great day.

--
Scott M. Warga
President
Ark Inspections Inc.
Gilbert, Arizona