NACHI Convention

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Kristy,

Great Idea. Florida is a great vacation spot this time of year (we need tourism for our economy). We have nice weather, nice beaches, cold beer, fruity drinks, white sand....Oh, who wants to work anyway?

Blaine

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Unless you already have experience planning conventions for thousand plus member organizations, you are going to be very surprised by exactly how much detail work and lead time is involved.

That being said, I think it's a great idea, and appreciate your offering, but best timing is for next November or December. Which works out pretty well given the lead time needed for a convention of such size.

Go for the cruise. It keeps people trapped and focussed on the issue at hand. Just make sure one of our Members in that area actually sees the boat so we don't end up on one of those rust buckets they run.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Some negatives about a cruise.

You cannot arrive late. That includes all speakers, instead of coming for their time period and leaving, they must come at the beginning and stay until the end.

You cannot come and go. See speakers, above.

You cannot leave early. See speakers above.

You are stuck on the ship, even if you get sick.

Not everybody likes ships and cruising.

Being on a cruise ship will not necessarily mean better attendance to the meetings, just that no one can leave the confines of the ship.

Here are some of the positives about a cruise.

It's unique (well, not unique, it's been done, but it is unusual).

It's for vacationers.

Did I say it's unusual?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Any convention needs to be 40% business and 60% (or more) down time to be spent with fellow combatants. The best conventions I have been to were 3 or 4 days, with about 4 to 5 hours of business per day. Optional classes are always good too, it keeps the bar less crowded.

Some of us may like to fish together, swim, play golf, drink, go scuba diving or snorkeling, Russel will like to drink Margaritas, some may want to just see a new area. If it is a Nov. or Dec. time frame, I doubt many of us down here want to go see snow and be cold.

There are many good resorts in FL, SC, Bermuda, Bahamas, CA, AZ, TX (and don't get pissy if I left out your state, just tell us what you have) which offer all of the above amenities and more.

Having been on a cruise, and having been a big boat owner, I would hate to see some of our land lubbers green for an extended period of time on a ship!

My 11? cents worth.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

A convention that is well planned in advance would be awesome. And November/ December are perfect months for me. I’m getting sick of this damn snow. As Blaine says, it needs to be a resort that has hot summer weather all year long. The iced up drinks go down smoother in those areas.

I would have no problem flying to the resort of our choice and chumming up with everyone. This could be very exciting. All we really need is for someone to volunteer/dedicate some of their spare time to plan this event. Lets Do It! Next winter would be a good starting point.

I'll be going to Santo Domingo on January 23rd if anyone's interested in joining me. I'm craving for sunshine, blue ocean water, countless drinks and beautiful women. The whole country parties 24 hours a day. I can't wait.

Anyways, lets plan on doing this Caribbean convention. Sounds exciting. I'm all for it.
![](upload://a5ukU4w0PPSwLU9LVrBY9SMUXyw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

David,

Just remember that some of the Caribbean places have passport and flying implications. For one, I don't have a passport, and I ain't getting on a plane. I like to have my feet planted firmly on the good ol USA terra firma. Now if I could get there by boat........

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't fly unless poop faced, and not well then, but if the convention can be in the contiguous US, I would appreciate it.

Orlando, anyone? Key West, anyone? Innisbrook, anyone?

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey guys

From my past experience, the Florida and in particulary the Orlando area. Convention rates are at their cheapest right after New Years through the second week of Feb. Even the Park Resorts at Disney have deep discount prices.

Orlando, of course is a major airline hub. Flying from a hub to a hub is usually the cheapest, with many flights being direct. Further more, car rentals are also at their lowest prices too.

Weather is generally nice, most places have heated pools. Lots of great places to eat, whether on a budget or 5-star. A lot of bang for the buck spent.

Thats my nickles worth

Paul

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

bwiley wrote:

Some of us may like to fish together, swim, play golf, drink, go scuba diving or snorkeling, Russel will like to drink Margaritas, some may want to just see a new area.

An excellent idea. I'll provide the chum!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

giving his opinion.

Nick,

What do you think about this all-inclusive event?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Planning a convention is a HUGE undertaking. I will be glad to help, but will need several other volunteers too.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: gbell

This is an idea that I have considered. I Think it is a great idea. I would suggest that we have one on the east coast one year then out west the next. The two cities that come to mind are Orlando and Las Vegas.

Now I have a topic for our next chapter meeting. If it meets with the approval of Nick I will form a committee from our Florida chapter to arrange the first annual NACHI convention. I would want to make it educational as well as informative for the novice and experienced inspector.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

All travel expenses and bookings will be up to the individual.

![](upload://2ZY17Fv2kGP3NLWv1QZVKuS6m3a.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: gbell

I would have to go with a convention rather than a bull session.

JMHO

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

----

As I said in an earlier post. A few work hours each day, followed by play.

The purpose of a convention is to learn new things, hear about new products or methods, and have a vacation which can be completely written off on you taxes!

I agree with Greg. One year east, one year west. Orlando stinks. No Beach. Wives and kids will want the beach. Disney and Universal are big time expensive. Russel's town would be nice for a west coast trip, sunny, warm, then again, that flying thing.......UUGGGGHHHHHHHH.

The timing should be when the kids are out of school. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not even going to try to go to a resort for a vacation without the family. You think E&O is expensive........

Kevin,

It's tax deductible.

If you don't want to do it, just explain it to your wife thisaway.

The trip will cost $2500 and I will loose $2500 in business the week I'm gone. That is $5000 honey. We can't afford it. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Blaine

Originally Posted By: sguardino

Greg,

If it’s held in Florida I will be more then happy to help out being we are rather close to each other.

Sounds like a really good idea to me, Let’s party, I need a break.

Hi everyone, don’t post to much on the board, although I should icon_cool.gif . I just read the posts and that’s about it for now. I’m trying really hard to get the business where I want it.

Steve

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I hate to bust everyone’s bubble, but if there is to be a ‘convention’ (or by any other name), it should be for educational purposes, mainly, then fun getogethers for all.

I go to quarterly meetings for our state association, the Florida Association of Building Inspectors (FABI). Our meetings typically follow this format:
Friday evening - BoD meets, Hospitality Suite is open, BoD members join after their meeting is done.
Saturday - roughly 8 am to 5 pm, educational seminar with breaks and lunch; after that, Hospitality Suite opens, them many go out to eat or party.
Sunday morning - General Membership meeting followed by educational seminar, which ends around noon.

We average about 150-175 attendees at each quarterly meeting, and the attendance and membership is steadily growing.

By the way, all Florida NACHI members are invited to attend the meetings and to join FABI. FABI is for the benefit of all Florida HIs regarding statewide issues and education. Heck, even non-Florida NACHI members are welcome. Just let FABI know in advance, 'we'll keep the light on for you'.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida