NACHI Convention

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jerry,

Education is held at "meetings". That's why you have them quarterly at FABI and why we are building local NACHI chapters. Didn't you have monthly meetings of your local ASHI chapter?

We all have plenty of opportunity for education at various local organization meetings, but little opportunity to build relationships with our fellow members. Conventions are for a lighter atmosphere. Some education and much fun. They are supposed to be informative and are "rah rah" sessions.

I used to help plan conventions at a previous company. We never started a meeting before 9 AM and they never ended after 3 pm. Any more, and you lose the interest of the attendees. The wives, significant others, etc. also want to be involved or at least enjoy the experience. Optional classes can be held throughout.

With the kind of dollars these things cost, the families will want to go and won't want a 9 to 5 work day. Remember, 40-60.

BTW, the original post for this topic came from one of the wives!

Blaine

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Guys and Ladies

A Convention should be educational, informative and social event

My thought that since the majority attendees would be traveling a long distance a weekend type affair would be cost prohibitive to many. So to maximize the value a mid week start would be the ideal time. Taking into consideration that in the winter season in cooler and colder climates the market has a tendency to slow down somewhat. Also, scheduling around something like this would not be so very difficult.

I realize this may not hold true in everyone's market, but generally after Christmas sales are lower. A Wednesday evening welcoming mixer/cocktail event would be a great start. This would give the attendee's a chance to meet a greet new and old friends and acquaintances.

Thursday morning and general welcoming meeting by the Leaders, Nick, Committee Heads, Legal Dept. and other prominent members would be basic start. A few well selected speakers could then create separate walk-off sessions for CE credits and general information. This could be general inspection categories of the SOP etc.

For lunches everyone could be on their own or have a buffet type meal set up for the general group. A short afternoon session of about two hours and then call it quits for the day.

Friday basically the same format, more CE and classes, if enough speakers can be found. A sum it all up Friday evening and maybe a large dinner for all attendees and family. End of the official sessions.

Now this would give everyone a solid bonus day on Saturday to do whatever, Golf, swimming, parks. Events could be planned during the meeting sessions for family members to participate in other events, such as shopping for the ladies, spa treatments or whatever.

Also during the course of the convention, it would be advantageous to have vendors showing and selling what's new in inspection equipment, software and computers. Just like a lot of the chapter meetings have been able to do but on a much larger basis.

Now the big question is! For anyone to take time off, travel maybe all the way across the country and to spend some cash. Does it have to be more than just fun?

Finally, its going to take more than one or two people to organize this type of an event and volunteers will be needed. Could this be a powerful and outstanding event? You know it can.
These are just my thoughts, the more input the better for all. Count me in and I will be a volunteer also.

Paul

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

If this was something that NACHI was willing to setup. I would be more then willing to speak or help out in anyway I can…

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: jpeck

bwiley wrote:
Jerry,

Education is held at "meetings". That's why you have them quarterly at FABI and why we are building local NACHI chapters. Didn't you have monthly meetings of your local ASHI chapter?

We still have our local ASHI chapter monthly meetings, with an educational speaker at each.

This business is about continuing education, there ALWAYS something new to learn.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I think that if there was going to be a convention. Then we should plan for say the winter of 2005. Some place warm. I think 2005 that gives a little over a year to plan and for people to make arrangements.

I would be more then happy to help out and plan different things...

I think that it would be a blast...

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m not a Disney fan but I understand demographically that most inspectors have families. Orlando in the fall of 2004?

Lia is putting together a big Philadelphia convention for this summer, but I think its a one day event. Vendors can just ship their literature and free samples to us and we'll put it out for all to grab.

Nick

Nick, I would be up for that… I would love to see everyone from NACHI together as one big happy family…

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Hey Y’all,

I will volunteer the experience of years of convention planning that my wife posesses. She was VP of Marketing for a steakhouse Franchisor in the southeast and put together 4 regional and one national convention every year for 8 years.

Having tired of the excessive travel her job required, she quit to take a summer off. Forced me to quit my traveling industrial inspection job as well (twist my arm - that's enough).

She does still maintain many of her contacts though and is willing to help out in any way she can.

Much of the cost of the convention can be offset by sponsorships of vendors to our industry.

A tabletop exhibit with Hostility er, Hospitality, rooms after show hours would allow each attendee time to explore the value of a vendor's product.

Just some beginning thoughts IMO.

rgds tg

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

Nick,

if you guys put this thing together. We’ll be the first exhibitor to sign up.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

See

![](upload://qdBlIjCrpCiKVYC6ai4qLzBJAPe.gif)

If you build it, they will come

Paul ![](upload://8v2Qw6sP5kyxWoLEyUpd2BziJyR.gif)

Timothy,

Your wife sounds perfect to help plan this... I would be willing to lend a hand also... Although my time is starting to get cut short. I think a convention would be great... I would be willing to do some demonstrarting or speaking or anything needed.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Just using a “Nick Trick” to keep this thread near the top. Are we anywhere with this. Should we have a poll to see if we need to have a poll to have a poll if we want a convention and then have a poll to see where it should be and then a poll to see how much work vs. play, etc. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Blaine “IF”?

We dont need no stinking IF's. It's WHEN!

Build it and they will come.

Paul

Originally Posted By: tgardner

I had planned to bring it up to the top after 1/1/04. However, I think that as a minimum, an inspector should be able to get at least 1/2 of his or her CE units out of the way at " NACHI Conspection 05". That might mean a 2-1/2 to 3 dayer.

I will donate some time to help make it happen.

Tim Gardner

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Sounds to me like we need someone to step up to the plate and start planning this convention. Preferably someone from the same area that is designated as the area for the convention gathering.

The first thing we need to do is decide where this convention will be taking place. Then, when the perfect location is decided upon amongst NACHI members, it would be best to get volunteers from that specific area to start coordinating and getting costs for this event. After the location, costs and dates are researched, this information should be advertised to all members to see what kind of response we get. If we get enough responses to agree upon this event and costs, then this can be kicked off.
These costs are going to be exorbitant for any type of NACHI convention gathering. All these costs must be passed onto the participants. Maybe these costs should be researched before we go any further. What these expenses will include, will also assist in this planning.

Any volunteers?
![](upload://wX6ea6OhFMDLi9KwHpDLIYJs6IF.gif)
I would love to assist in this planning, but I have alot going on right now between my wife, two kids and vacation(Santo Domingo) coming up. Business planning is also keeping me very busy at this time.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Walter Engelking

I think a national convention is a great idea.

A convention for a national organization is a huge undertaking. Way too big for a bunch of well meaning volunteers alone. The planning needs the better part of a year for everything to come together. It will also take some seed money to make the proper reservations.

I know a lady who does this professionally for lots of large groups. I am sure she would be happy to take this on. The volunteers who have already come forward would be a huge asset not only for the this first event, but especially for future events. But, for a first go around we (my membership application is in the mail) would need a professional to make informed decisions on attendance and facilities.

If this is a serious consideration, we need that professional on board from the beginning. We need some decisions right away:
When will it be held?
Were will it be?
How much are members willing to spend?
How much is the association willing to spend? ... Advance?

If we are willing to make a commitment, lets get that planner now. Nick, contact me if you would like to speak to my contact. I have the utmost confidence in her, and have even worked for her in the past. After all, someone has to experience and report on those cruise lines that may be used.

Walter Engelking

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Somehow I missed a lot of this when I was moving. Sounds like a great idea. When and Where? Just remember that those of us whose business is in the early phases don’t have the riches as the rest of you. So wherever it is make sure it is reasonably cheap to get to and stay at. Also make sure there are some family friendly things to do for those of us that would have to travel with rugrats.

As far as the times. We have a annual convention for firefighters from across the state of Maryland every year in Ocean City, MD. Thousands of people come and hundreds of vendors. It usually starts Sunday with a little social get together. Many people get there the Saturday before that. Then Mon. there is a welcoming by the President of the Association. After that, committee meetings and such, a few education seminars to get CEU's, etc. day ends around 3:30. Tues and weds are both mostly a few little seminars and at least one speech from a keynote speaker. For Instance, we have had FDNY chiefs talk about September 11th operations or problems and what we can change.

After the day ends at 3:30, there is usually some social event each night. Mondays our county has a party for all the volunteers. Tuesday there is a fireworks display for everyone. Wednesday there is a bull roast to close the convention, an idea everyone loves. There is also a separate area each day for vendors to set up and show products. This usually runs during and after the seminars. After Wednesday, most people stay and enjoy the beach till Saturday.

With a schedule like that, most people get to spend most of the time relaxing with family, but still get to squeeze in some learning and s#$% shooting with colleagues. And the wives don't get pissed that they don't see you.

Hey Gary! We could do it in DC and not have the travel and hotel!!!! We could plan it! But not in the winter!

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dfrend

icon_question.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

This seems to be a DEAD issue. Too much responsibilty and monies involved. Oh well…Nice try.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

If Nick and Joe agreed, and we could have it in or around DC say in the summer time. I would be more then happy to get the ball rolling. Say for the end of this summer maybe next september, still a good time to visit DC and a lot going on to…

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895