NACHI Foundation Director is writing a home inspection book.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As part of his Doctorate program, NACHI member/NACHI Foundation Director Gary M. Johnson is writing a book on building a home inspection business.

Please email him at gjohnson@cmhionline.com with any stories, tips, or information you think might be useful.

I hope he will agree to let NACHI publish the book when completed.

Nick

PS The NACHI Foundation is a separate charitable organization.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Thanks Nick… I hope to have a rough draft done in the next several month. I would really like to hear other people stories as to what they think they did right and wrong in starting.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The best thing I did when I started was to go outside of my market at first and do inspections for a month or so in an area about 30 miles away from where I wanted to eventually end up. I built up my confidence this way and worked out all (well most) of my bugs. After I got strong and smooth, I did my marketing in my own neighborhood where I really wanted to work.

Nick

PS Can we publish your book online at NACHI.org ?

I remember that from the Chapter meeting.

I am sure we could do something about publishing it online.....

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: cnordby

Very cool Gary!

SafeHOME

Seattle, WA.

www.signsbycheryl.freeservers.com

I need a list of common mistakes that were made by people when they first started out. If anyone could post their story. Please lets all be respectful though we have all made mistakes in dealing with business…

So if people could post what their common mistakes and myths were.

If I use them, you will get full name credit. Not a big thing but the best I can offer...

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Gary,

Here's a story that may or may not be useful to you. It's about one client that I will never forget.

A few weeks ago I did an inspection for a client that always answered "I'm blessed" whenever I asked her how she was doing, during our phone conversations.

Well, after I completed my inspection for her she discovered that she "forgot" to bring her checkbook. She did offer to drive to an ATM with me, but I was in a hurry and told her I would send her a PayPal invoice via email (thinking this would easier for everyone).

A day or so later I followed up with her because the invoice had not been paid. "Paypal won't accept my debit card", she said. Alright, I have an inspection close to the mall tomorrow at 10:00 am, can you meet me there at 9:30 am? "No problem, I'll be there", she said.

At 9:25 the next morning I call her on her cell phone. "I'm on my way, be there in five minutes", was her reply. 9:35 - no client. 9:40 - no client. I call her again, no answer this time, I leave a message (I was more than little miffed at this point). The message went went something like this: It is now 9:45 am and I must leave for my 10:00 appointment. I have tried to make it easy for you to pay me. Apparently this whole thing must be some kind of a joke. Well, I'm not laughing. Goodbye.

I wrote the experience off to bad debt and moved on. Several days later the client arrives at my doorstep around dinner time on her bicycle, in the pouring rain and during a lightening storm. She had a money order in her hand and a smile on her face. Seems like her car broke down when she was coming to meet at the mall. She rode her bike for over eight hours that day, half of that in the pouring rain during the biggest flood in Houston of this year. I was so taken aback (actually I felt like an a$%) that I gave her a $100.00 rebate on my services, picked her daughter up from extended day care and drove them both back home. I wasn't too excited about venturing out to her part of town because the bayou's and streets were all flooded, it was bad out there. My wife was worried and so was I (quite frankly) as we went on our way but I told her, "Don't worry Honey, Jane (not her real name) is blessed".

The moral? Never underestimate the will of your clients to do the right thing. Whenever possible - go to the ATM machine.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

That is a great story. Should definately make it in…

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: mpatton

I will try and provide some of the less flattering mistakes in another post but this I had to send.

The funniest occurrence to date:

Inspecting a rural home with acreage, I meet the potential new home owners. The home owners are interested in the property primarily due to the land and pasture for their horses. During the first few minutes of the conversation the customer tell me the concerns they have with the property and what they want me to pay close attention to. (Sound familiar?) They also introduced the wife?s parents.

The wife (Carol no not her real name either) a gray headed lady all gun hoe with no fear commented that she had looked under the house in the crawl space prior to placing the offer. Since it was raining that day and I had a halogen spot light I offered that she could follow if she wished when I went into the crawl space. Prior to entering the crawl space Carol joined me and off we go me with the halogen and her with my Maglight.

The crawl space at the entry was approximately 3? and then tapered down to about 18?, no gravel and no plastic/vapor barrier. Water was actually running in no less than two streams and the mud and debris were quite unfriendly. In kidding I had told her that if I see a set of eyes looking at me or anything similar I would be the first one out.

As we were making our way along with a little discomfort I was in the lead and Carol was following, Carol was quite curious and asking a lot of questions as well as making a lot of comments pertaining to the structure. We were well under the structure when I here her in a bit of distress and mumbling something that I could not understand, I turn with the Halogen to see what the problem is and she is just under a support beam beside a pier.

What I see is quite confusing, she is in a position face up but her face is covered by some long haired silver gray ?thing?. Carol is now crying, no she is laughing then she starts trying to clean the mud off her hands and trying to pick the ?thing? of her face. YES I am confused, Carol is now talking quite calmly between chuckles as she tells me that it is her wig! Now I am starting to laugh and she is telling me that she is paying me enough that she does not have to where her wig and I can see her without it. I believe she put the wig in her coat pocket and we continued on!

Now I refrained from taking a picture during all of this and to some degree I am glad, but a picture would have definitely told the story.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

I think I am just going to make a chapter of stories from Home Inspectors…

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

For part of my reseach, I am curious as to what backgrounds everyone came from… Mine is from an IT/Business/Jack of all Trades Background.

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: rlind

Gary,

Best of luck with your book writing venture. Please keep us posted as to when it is published.

You had asked for the background of Home Inspectors before entering the profession. I worked for 23 years for W. W. Grainger - a Fortune 100 distributor of motors, pumps, electrical supplirs, lighting, plumbing supplies, etc. I worked for many years directly serving end users of these products with their technical support and engineering questions. The customer service, product application, and supplier negotiation skills I acquired working for Grainger helped me in a multitude of ways when I set up my Home Inspection business earlier this year.

I learned not only how these items work (or fail to work), but also why, where, and when. Tackling issues from both the end users point of view, as well as from the product suppliers point of view, has given me
the background and confidence needed to launch a successful Home Inspection business. Grainger always put the needs of their customers ahead of their own, and I operate my business in the same fashion.

Sincerely,

Ronald Lind
Solid Foundation Home Inspections, LLC

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Ron Lind

It really is a small world !

I worked for the Department Of Corrections and Mental Health in MO. for 28 years as an engineer . Oversaw the operations of numerous power plants as well as total facility maintance operations . I remember speaking with you on numerous occasions .