NACHI Product testing

Originally Posted By: rbennett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

— I am posting some info out of contex from another thread

I hope it is not a violation of some sort, but thought maybe Paul has something going here

rlb

Paul

Sounds like you have an idea brewing for a program
Start a thread and post your ideas
HI's spend $$ so why not have a product review over at the Mall?

As long as we don't have to search all day for the products to check out what other members think

SW is a very large expense and we have some good "reviews" in that area

Then again maybe no one will use the service before buying

Who knowes

rlb

Unique ID: D985-59-4769BF

Richard Bennett
Richard Bennett Inspections

User: rbennett
NACHI Member: Yes

Posted: Thu, Oct 27th, 3:40 PM Post subject:

I would be willing to be on the NACHI Product and Service Evaluation Board (NPSEB) to give reports on any sample products!!

Lets say 10 free samples to the board - we review - and if it gets a passing grade it gets the NACHI seal

Of course we keep the samples for long term evaluation

Products and Services evaluated
1. Hotels (meeting locations)
2. SUVS and trucks
3. Computers
4. Software
5. Ladders
6. Tools
7. Cameras
8. Test equipment
9. Testing labs
10. Insurance companies (I get that one)
11. Lawyers

rlb

Unique ID: D985-59-4769BF

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services

User: phinsperger
NACHI Member: Yes

Posted: Thu, Oct 27th, 4:04 PM Post subject:

Testing to include:

1) Normal opertaion of the tool
2) Repeated reliabilty of mechanical moving parts.
2) reliability in extreme heat (such as those encountered in attic spaces)
3) reliability in extreme cold (outside winter temperatures of the north)
4) durability of being droped off a roof ( includes testing of #11. Lawyers )
5) labratory testing of manufacturer published specifcations.
6) Average and lowest price from accross the country
7) Member testimony (positive and negative)
![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) Any additional testing relivant to a particulary product catagory

Consumers reports secretly purchase their prodducts from random loactions to ensure that there is no tampering and to remain uninfluenced by the ‘Freebies’ factor. I don’t think we need to go that far. But a vendor should be willing to donate at least 1 unit. Any products that are still usable after testing can be given to the NACHI Foundation.

Paul Hinsperger
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Paul

We do not have any input yet but I still think it is a good idea

Lets see if we can get some additional ideas

I also want to test a truck or SUV

BTW I have does so of this type of testing for the USN and also Qwest so all your points are on the $$

rlb

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

I don’t have any background in this type of thing but I sincerly believe that it could be a sucessfull program for NACHI members.

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Paul

As chairman of the NACHI Awards Committee you know how the system works

With 6000 plus member we should be able to test the but out of any product that comes out. Your background in good ideas and your team should be able to put a program together that should help Nick and the rest of us to get one step up as the HI org of the world

later

rlb

Originally Posted By: lclark

Why not let the members do the testing. To be a product tester, you must fill out a product test form. Testers should be selected on a first-come first-served basis. Once chosen, testers must complete and return a report form on the product tested. The tester keeps the product. To become eligible again, a tester must fill out a new form after each test.

Products should be rated from 1 to 10, on performance, ease of use, Quality, design, rated against similar products and an overall rating.

Just my 2 cents

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Larry

I like the idea of spreading it around

Do you have any ideas about the form??

rbennett wrote:
Your background in good ideas and your team should be able to put a program together that should help Nick and the rest of us to get one step up as the HI org of the world

Richard, I thank you for your confidence in me. However, I many projects on my plate right now. In addition to home inspections, W.E.T.T. inspections, energy audits, and the Awards Committee, I also run a farm which take more time than many people are aware. Not to mention a four year old daughter and a son who will be born in about a month's time.

I would be interested in being a part of a product testing committee but I am unable to commit the time required to head it up.

Here's a couple of thought off the top of my head.

lclark wrote:
Why not let the members do the testing.

You want the testing to consistant so that can be different products can be compared accuratley. I think there should be a testing committee that has a prescibed outline of the testing proceedures to be followed. All of the testing could be done by the committee members with the exception of bench testing to published specifications.

lclark wrote:
The tester keeps the product.

It is important that the results are unbiased and not influenced in anyway by subjective means. Therefore I do not think the tester should keep the product. If they like it they can purchase it from the NACHI Foundation where all products finished testing are sent for auction.

In a grid/matrix like manner, non-members should be able to see the products being tested, including their specifications, pricing, etc but not the NACHI testing results. This allows vendors of products to see the format, their competitors products etc. It is also another good reason to become a member. Members would see the same layout format but including the testing results and ratings from the poduct testing committee.

Below is kind of what I have in mind. This is only to give a visual to the format. The actual data entered is just random for demo purposes. In addition there would be more columns for additional tested aspects.

![](upload://mm8nEKHJhY0lVgeBWalqIiePzjM.jpeg)

Hyperlinks to be provided to the manufactures website by clicking on the manufacture's name

By clicking on the model you are taken to a NACHI screen where there is a short writeup from the commitee as well as spot for non-committee members to place thier comments. Kind of like we have in the photo gallery.

In order for a program of this sort to succeed we would need:
- Support for the Program (is there a membership demand for the program?)
- A committee to develope a testing standard, locate product, actually do the testing, outsource any testing that can't be done by committee members, compile and publish results
- A small financial commitment from NACHI for shipping of product and some outside testing
- Developement by NACHI IT for a system whereby the product testing committee can add and update the product review screens
- A co-operative relationship by suppliers

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Paul - Superb idea, especially with the experience and knowledge base of those inspectors that have tested these products out in the field. Perhaps there could be a link or means to click to indicate users satisfaction rating. That way any perceived bias could be ruled out!

Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

I wanna be the one that gets to drop them off a roof icon_lol.gif

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Richard, Why don’t you run a poll to see how much interest there is or isn’t for this.

Paul Hinsperger
here !