NACHI publishes inspector advice column

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

, at http://www.nachi.org/dear_nachi.htm

Submissions requested.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dear Nick (NACHI),

What do you say to the price shopper client when they tell you they will call you back they are calling around for prices?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

DELETED

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

You are answering their question. That is what you are doing wrong. When someone asks for your prices, don't tell them, initially. First ask them if they have a pen and paper. Then tell them everything good about yourself. Talk slowly as if you are expecting them to write it all down. If you act like they should write it all down, they will. Make their notes become your brochure. Have a script ready: "We are locally owned and operated, we are members of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, we..." Some price-shoppers are just real estate agents gathering information for their clients. Some price shoppers are just shoppers who don't know what else to ask. Give them the answers to questions they should be asking.

A copy of the world's best telephone flow-chart script is available to members. This flow-chart is guaranteed to "convert" most price-shoppers into scheduled clients.

But eventually callers want to know what I charge. Shouldn't I tell them?

Yes, but instead of telling them over the phone, offer to fax them a price list. Then fax them your brochure, your NACHI promotional material, your NACHI membership certificate, the NACHI Code of Ethics, and anything else you can think of. Oh, and then finally fax them your price quote.

I am sometimes asked for references. What should I say?

Say "Any inspector can give you a few references. You can better check on us by calling the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. Their number is (610) 933-4241." We at the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors answer our phone 24/7 and will gladly help your clients. You should also read the Advanced Tip at the bottom of the current issue of Dear NACHI, our advice column.

I put another article up last night at http://www.nachi.org/dear_nachi.htm

Nick

Nick,

When you coming home from Potato land?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

And are you bringing potatoes?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rray

I also tell price shoppers that they should be asking many more questions rather than just price. “Oh.” Many people here in San Diego who charge $100 for a home inspection don’t carry any insurance at all. They can’t afford it. And I tell my Client that.

Do they carry insurance in case something happens while they are on the property? Insurance costs money.
Are they a member of any home inspector trade associations? Memberships cost money.
Are they a member of the Better Business Bureau. Membership costs money.
Are they full-time professional home inspectors. Full-time professionals have more expenses than a person doing a couple of home inspections a week.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel,

Good points. I think along with that we also reflect a more professional image.

Joe Myers